Detailed Job Description
Provides personalized academic advising to degree seeking students as well as those enrolled in Certificate Programs. Will work closely with student to develop educational, career, and financial aid plans designed to ensure that students make seamless, consistent progression toward achieving career and educational goals.
West CampusDepartment: Career Program Advising Degree Requirement: Bachelor's degree
Essential Job Functions
1. Assists students with identifying and selecting appropriate courses for their career path, explaining requirements for obtaining certificates and/or degrees as appropriate. Works with students to develop educational plan, review degree audits, and monitor successful program progress.
2. Collaborates with deans, program directors, faculty, other career program advisors, and staff to provide the support necessary to enhance the learning needs of students enrolled in these programs.
3. Assists students with educational and career planning by providing career and occupational information about related degree/certification programs. Works with students in the progression and completion of their program to reach career and educational goals.
4. Evaluate transcripts and courses for program admission as appropriate.
5. Serves as the Home Office expert on assigned degree and certificate programs. Provides information about related degree/certificate programs to educational and student services staff. Assists with program recruitment, pre-admission, and out-reach as necessary.
6. Offers educational seminars in collaboration with deans, program directors, faculty, other career program and staff in related program areas.
7. Collects and reports data related to student success as it relates to intervention strategies and program viability.
8. Serves on college-wide Career Program Advisor Task Force, Industry Advisory Committees as appropriate.
9. Participates in college, state, and regional staff development activities and meetings to enhance assigned programs.
10. Works with deans, program directors, faculty, other career program advisors, and staff to identify barriers to learning. Recommends approaches to overcome barriers to enhance student success.
11. Works with students in identifying appropriate terms for enrollment in internship experiences in collaboration with internship coordinators and faculty in related programs. Collaborates with the Internship and Workforce Services Officer to assist students with internship and co-op opportunities.
12. Other duties as assigned
1. Bachelor's degree, in a discipline deemed appropriate by the hiring authority, from a regionally accredited institution [required].
2. Experience working students in a related educational setting.
3. A demonstrated commitment to diversity.
4. Must be able to perform all of the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accomodation.
Knowledge Skills Abilities
1. Ability to assess student's developmental needs and translate theory into practice.
2. Ability to independently initiate, develop, and implement out-reach programs.
3. Ability to work efficiently and accurately without close supervision in a flexible and fast paced environment while exercising reason, sound judgment, and discretion.
4. Ability to proficiently use Microsoft Officer Products in a Windows environment.
5. Strong interpersonal communication skills and the ability to provide excellent customer service.
6. Ability to work effectively in a diverse community and meet the needs of diverse student populations.
$36,829 - $46,729 per year
Equal Employment and Preference-Eligibility
Valencia College provides equal opportunity for equal opportunity for employment and educational services to all individuals as it relates to admission to the College or to programs, any aid, benefit, or service to students or wages and other terms, conditions or privileges of employment, without regard to race, color, ethnicity, national origin, age, religion, disability, marital status, gender, sexual orientation, genetic information and any other factor prohibited under applicable federal, state, and local civil rights laws, rules and regulations.
Valencia College extends preference in employment for eligible veterans in accordance to Florida State Statute 295.07.
Please press the apply button in the task box on the right column of this page to proceed and be redirected to the position announcement for this position on Valencia College’s website.