Unfortunately, this job is expired as of 1/3/2016.
To continue in your search through the appropriate job categories, click either Administrative Staff, Higher Education Executives, Faculty, Post-Doc and Graduate Assistants, . You can also utilize "guess-free" keyword search tools with up to eight pre-defined criteria. Search for and Apply to academic postings directly from the site. Post your background either confidentially or overtly. Stand out and be discovered!
TEMPORARY INSTRUCTIONAL LABORATORY TECHNICIAN - BIOLOGICAL SCIENCES
DEFINITION: Under direction of an assigned supervisor, operate an instructional Biological Sciences laboratory and maintain equipment, tools, materials and supplies; facilitate student learning by providing assistance to faculty and students; select, train and supervise student assistants to work in science laboratories and storerooms. This position offers valuable learning experiences in a community college setting.
EXAMPLES OF ESSENTIAL DUTIES: (Any one position may not include all of the duties listed nor do listed examples include all tasks which may be found in positions of this class.) To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty of the position satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions required for the position.
• Operate an instructional science laboratory; provide learning opportunities in a practical setting in which students perform exercises and assignments in biology, physics, chemistry and other designated science areas.
• Order, receive, store and inventory equipment, supplies and materials for laboratory experiments; issue and distribute instructional materials for student use in the science lab.
• Set up, operate and demonstrate the use of specialized equipment, instruments and apparatus typically found in community college biological and physical science laboratories; maintain equipment and schedule repairs as needed.
• Prepare and maintain a variety of records, logs and files related to equipment purchases, inventory and check–out, budget, student assistant schedules and time sheets, and chemical inventories.
• Maintain a clean and safe learning environment in the laboratory; inspect lab areas for hazardous materials spills; prepare and maintain required documentation regarding the purchase, storage and disposal of hazardous chemicals.
• Provide instructional guidance and assistance to individual and small groups of science students; reinforce concepts, techniques and practical applications presented by the instructor.
• Operate specialized equipment used in a science laboratory including measuring devices and instruments, hot plates, centrifuge, spectrophotometer, spectrograph, autoclave, microscope, incubator and other devices.
• Communicate with instructors, vendors and suppliers regarding science laboratory purchases, operations and equipment.
• Perform related duties as assigned.
• Laboratory equipment, supplies and materials typically used in community college biological and physical science laboratories.
• Preparation of culture media and stock solutions for laboratory experiments.
• Proper handling, storage and disposal of hazardous materials.
• Principles of physical and/or biological sciences.
• Health and safety precautions used in an instructional lab.
• Instructional principles, practices and methodology.
• Operation and maintenance of an instructional science laboratory.
• Record keeping methods.
• Oral and written communication skills.
• Interpersonal skills including tact, patience and courtesy.
• Operation of scientific instruments, devices and apparatus.
Education and Experience: Any combination equivalent to: two years of college coursework in biology, chemistry, physics or other designated scientific discipline and two years of science–related work experience.
The hourly rate for this range and step is $23.44 per hour. Timesheets are due per due dates provided in the Payroll 2015/2016 circular and will be paid at the end of the following month.
This is a part time position at 18.75 hours per week.
Please submit your resume via email to Lori Hampton, Senior Administrative Assistant to the Dean of Math, Science, Engineering, Health Occupations and Kinesiology. Her email address is email@example.com. If you have any questions please call (408) 855-5201.
You were inactive for over twenty minutes. To protect you, we have logged you out. Any unsaved data has been lost.