Unfortunately, this job is expired as of 9/30/2015.
To continue in your search through the appropriate job categories, click either Administrative Staff, Higher Education Executives, Faculty, Post-Doc and Graduate Assistants, . You can also utilize "guess-free" keyword search tools with up to eight pre-defined criteria. Search for and Apply to academic postings directly from the site. Post your background either confidentially or overtly. Stand out and be discovered!
Southern Illinois University Carbondale invites nominations and applications for the position of Dean of the College of Business. The Dean is the chief administrative and academic officer of the College of Business and reports to the Provost and Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs. The successful candidate is expected to offer strategic leadership, a focus on innovation, and a vision for the future that will inspire the faculty, students, and staff to greater academic excellence.
The College of Business at SIU Carbondale offers residential undergraduate programs in Accountancy, Business Economics, Finance, Management, and Marketing; residential Master of Accountancy, MBA, and doctoral programs; and online undergraduate and MBA programs. The College has 29 full-time faculty members, approximately 1,200 undergraduate and 240 graduate students. The College of Business holds dual accreditation in business and accounting by AACSB. Additional information regarding the College of Business is available at http://www.business.siu.edu/.
The Dean's primary roles are centered around academic and development matters, particularly:
(1) enhance and support quality academic programs and research;
(2) lead strategic planning, budgeting, and continuous improvement under AACSB accreditation standards;
(3) support a culture of degree completion and career placement through coordinated student recruitment, advisement, service, and retention efforts;
(4) recruit and develop faculty and staff;
(5) maintain, grow, and develop programs that enhance college resources; and
(6) enhance resources through fundraising.
Applicant must possess an earned terminal degree in an appropriate discipline for the College; a distinguished record of teaching, research, and service consistent with the expectations of a tenured Professor at a Research University: High Research Activity; demonstrated leadership experience in higher education administration or high-level executive experience; experience in budget, planning, personnel, promotion and tenure review, program reviews and AACSB accreditations; and success in student initiatives. Applicants must also demonstrate excellent organizational and communication skills; the ability to articulate effectively the College's mission to students, faculty, alumni, external funding agencies, and other decision-making bodies; the ability to develop and sustain collegial and productive relationships with on- and off-campus constituencies, business professionals, and fundraising sources on behalf of the College; and a commitment to high standards in education, cultural diversity, and equal opportunity.
This is a security-sensitive position. Before any offer of employment is made, the University will conduct a pre-employment background investigation that includes a criminal background check.
RESPONSIBILITIES (not in priority order)
The Dean will:
1. Serve as an officer of the University with a commitment to the goals and aspirations of SIU Carbondale, as set forth under the leadership of the Chancellor and direct supervision of the Provost and Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs.
2. Serve as a member of the Provost and Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs Deans' Council.
3. In a spirit of shared governance, conduct the affairs of the College in accordance with all relevant State statutes, the directives of the Illinois Board of Higher Education, the statutes and bylaws of the SIU Board of Trustees, fiscal and administrative policies of the University, and in conformity with the College's Operating Paper, the SIU Carbondale Employees Handbook, and all relevant contracts between the SIU Board of Trustees and any union associations.
4. Represent the College's interests and perspectives while serving as official spokesperson between the College and other units within the University, as well as with the business community and off-campus constituencies.
5. Enhance and inspire an academic climate that will foster excellence in teaching, research, and scholarly activity, including intellectual property development, and service.
6. Facilitate the implementation of the College's mission, vision, goals, and strategies to focus resources; and mobilize faculty, students, and external groups to achieve high performance.
7. Oversee assessment and activities related to the maintenance of AACSB accreditation. Participate in program reviews and guide specialized accreditations. Ensure that undergraduate and graduate programs conform to and, where appropriate, exceed the standards of accrediting agencies for undergraduate, masters, and doctoral programs in the College.
8. Allocate resources in the most effective way that supports the goal of academic excellence. Specifically, the Dean will develop, review, and approve all academic planning, departmental budgets, and fiscal plans, their incorporation into a College budget, and the implementation of programs within the approved budget framework.
9. Provide leadership in personnel actions relating to recruitment, salary recommendations, appointment, retention, tenure, and retirement, as well as suspension, termination, and related actions for faculty, administrative staff, and support staff with the concurrence of the appropriate units or bodies of the College, in
accordance with the University's principles of affirmative action and equal opportunity.
10. Annually review academic Chairs and Directors and other direct-report faculty and staff.
11. Identify, cultivate, involve, and solicit business professionals, the community, alumni, and friends of the university in developing and sustaining an active external fundraising program. (For more information on the SIU Foundation, visit http://www.siuf.org/.) Develop external support and funding from industry and governmental agencies.
12. Provide the impetus for excellence in undergraduate and graduate academic programming in the College, including the development of new and expanded programs, and assessment and improvement of existing programs.
13. Develop, support, and supervise programs and student services for the recruitment, retention, advisement, and placement of a diverse body of undergraduate and graduate students in the College. Involve alumni and friends in joint problem solving, placement of students, and the development of internships.
14. Respond promptly to the needs of students.
15. Communicate with the faculty, students, and staff of the College, taking measures to assure that all are informed as to the status, progress, and organization of the College. Provide effective communication among the various departmental and research centers within the College, between the College and the Office of the Provost and Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs and the Chancellor's Office, and between the College and the broader University.
16. Cultivate leadership of faculty and staff.
17. Encourage and support the development of online courses and joint degree programs with other collegial units on campus.
18. Initiate and coordinate the upgrading of the technical infrastructure, including computers, software, networks, and ancillary equipment in the classrooms and staff and faculty offices.
19. Supervise and enhance an administrative network for the implementation of policies formulated within the College.
20. Foster a commitment to diversity and an environment that advances the institution's policies on inclusive excellence and intolerance of discrimination.
The position is available January 1, 2016 or July 1, 2016. The deadline for applications is September 18, 2015, or until filled. Review of applications will begin immediately following the deadline for applications and will continue until the position is filled. Applications (nominations will be accepted) must include a letter of application addressing qualifications, a current curriculum vita, a personal vision statement for the position, and the name, address, phone number, and email address for five references. Send nominations, inquires, and
applications to : Search Committee for Dean, College of Business, Attn: Lynn Moore, Anthony Hall, Room 125, Mail Code 4305, SIU Carbondale, 1265 Lincoln Drive, Carbondale, IL 62901, Telephone: 618-536-5536, Email: email@example.com.
SIU Carbondale is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer of individuals with disabilities and protected veterans that strives to enhance its ability to develop a diverse faculty and staff and to increase its potential to serve a diverse student population. All applications are welcomed and encouraged and will receive consideration.
You were inactive for over twenty minutes. To protect you, we have logged you out. Any unsaved data has been lost.