Detailed Job Description
West CampusDepartment: IT OfficeDegree Requirement: Bachelor's Degree
Essential Job Functions
1. Proactively monitors the College's production application systems environments to ensure optimum performance, proper operation and end-user satisfaction.
2. Manages the maintenance, production support, security and upgrade of the College's application systems.
3. Prioritizes, manages and delegates work to technical staff using the College's project request system and other accepted methodologies.
4. Anticipates new requirements based on changing college needs and new trends in technology and makes appropriate recommendations to OIT management.
5. Oversees the secure, efficient and stable functionality of all application systems, interfaces and related software applications.
6. Manages and participates in the requirements gathering, preparation of design documents, development, programming and team/project oversight to implement enterprise application systems solutions.
7. Designs, analyzes, programs, documents and implements applications that support and enhance the College's application systems and functional business processes.
8. Tracks projects and staff assignments and workloads.
9. Ensures thorough testing of application systems to comply with quality assurance standards.
10. Manages, maintains and supports application systems/servers to ensure secure operation, protection of data, minimal downtime and loss of productivity and service.
11. Collaborates and communicates effectively with other Information Technology areas for implementation, design, integration, diagnosis and resolution of complex system projects, problems and issues.
12. Prepares and presents training sessions on application systems hardware and software, as required.
13. Prepares regular status reports which may include weekly, monthly, annual and special project status reporting.
14. Serves as the primary point of contact for the area being managed with responsibility and accountability for all work, projects and communication from the department and the timely completion of departmental tasks.
15. Functions as a member of the management team of the Office of Technology and as representative to all Valencia and external constituencies.
16. Manages direct reports to promote teamwork and to develop professional and technical qualities necessary in order to meet the goals and objectives of the department, the Office of Information Technology and Valencia Community College.
17. Manages all Human Resources related tasks for direct reports including, but not limited to performance evaluations, disciplinary actions and professional development opportunities.
18. Works effectively with others, both within and outside of the department, to identify and resolve problems and facilitate accomplishment of objectives.
19. Knowledgeable of status and tracking of all projects and work delegated to the department and direct reports.
20. Keeps direct reports and other managers well informed of issues, project status and other relevant information. Escalates and communicates issues and changes to all necessary stakeholders in a timely fashion.
21. Recommends, initiates and implements improvements to IT operations and processes. Contributes constructive suggestions for change or improvement in other areas.
22. Prioritizes, manages and delegates multiple projects and tasks using accepted project management methodologies.
23. Manages all status reporting for the department, including personal and supervised staff status reports (including weekly, monthly, annual and special project reports).
24. Serves as liaison to College offices, committees and Information Technology personnel as required.
25. Performs other departmental duties as required.
1. Bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited institution or equivalent experience and/or equivalent combination of education and experience [required].
2. Strong computer programming and logic skills, including SQL programming in an Oracle environment and PL/SQL [required].
3. Proven track record in developing and implementing application and programming solutions and supervising others with strong project management skills.
4. Experience maintaining application systems in a large enterprise environment that are secure, stable and operate at optimal performance.
5. Experience with and ability to develop and follow change management procedures and guidelines.
6. Travel between campuses may be required on an occasional basis.
7. The College anticipates that the person filling this position will need to be available throughout the workday and, on some occasions, after regular work hours. Therefore, as a condition of employment, the incumbent is expected to be available by cell phone and is required to provide their current cell phone number to the Human Resources Department and to their immediate supervisor.
8. A demonstrated commitment to diversity.
9. Must be able to perform all of the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accomodation.
Knowledge Skills Abilities
1. Ability to work with minimal supervision both independently and as a member of a team.
2. Excellent interpersonal and communication skills. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from managers, clients and the College community.
3. Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
4. Strong troubleshooting skills and ability to effectively resolve or escalate issues to management or vendor support areas as necessary.
5. Ability to write reports, documentation, business correspondence and procedure manuals.
6. Ability to learn new technologies, systems and software and adapt to change on an ongoing basis.
7. Ability to meet deadlines, and to achieve and maintain expected productivity levels.
8. Ability to handle multiple assignments through prioritization and time management, and effectively documenting and communicating status of projects and issues to management and Information Technology personnel.
9. Ability to analyze problems, identifies alternative solutions, determine project consequences of proposed actions and make recommendations in support of goals.
10. Knowledge and/or applied skills and abilities in the following areas are preferred:
- Object Oriented Programming experience with Banner applications software or a background in higher education administrative information systems
- PL/SQL, Perl, SQL, Groovy on Grails, Pro*C, Java, shell scripting, HTML and XML
- Experience working in a UNIX environment, including AIX, Linux or Solaris
- Oracle Stored Objects (procedures, packages, functions and database triggers)
- Oracle Forms development, Oracle APEX and/or Web Development skills
- SAS programming and report development; SAS data warehouse and business intelligence applications
- Good technical writing, flowcharting and troubleshooting
- Experience working within a formal project management and change management methodology
- Third party applications such as document management/imaging, Ellucian BDMS, Appworx or similar scheduling systems, Envisions, BossCARS, Banner E-Print, Raiser's Edge, Financial Edge and CashNet.
11. Continuously updates job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities, reading professional publications, maintaining personal networks and participating in professional organizations.
12. Ability and willingness to learn quickly.
13. Ability to work in a typical computing environment, requiring walking, standing, lifting and bending for brief periods may be necessary.
14. Ability to work irregular hours may be a regular requirement for this position in order to provide 24 hour on-call support for mission critical systems.
15. Ability to work effectively in a diverse community and meet the needs of diverse student populations.
$57,634 - $76,728 per year
Equal Employment and Preference-Eligibility
Valencia College provides equal opportunity for equal opportunity for employment and educational services to all individuals as it relates to admission to the College or to programs, any aid, benefit, or service to students or wages and other terms, conditions or privileges of employment, without regard to race, color, ethnicity, national origin, age, religion, disability, marital status, gender, sexual orientation, genetic information and any other factor prohibited under applicable federal, state, and local civil rights laws, rules and regulations.
Valencia College extends preference in employment for eligible veterans in accordance to Florida State Statute 295.07.
Please press the apply button in the task box on the right column of this page to proceed and be redirected to the position announcement for this position on Valencia College’s website.