Detailed Job Description
Responsible for designing and implementing career and academic systems and strategies. Develops curriculum for the first year experience; and supervises, develops and provides strategic leadership for Academic Advisors, Career Program Advisors and Career Center Coordinators.
Osceola Campus Department: Dean of Students
Essential Job Functions
1. Accountable for the design and implementation of career and academic advising systems.
2. Develops academic and career advising strategies for faculty and advisors.
3. Develops curriculum and co-curriculum for first year experience.
4. Implements new advising-related technology and lead continuous review and redesign of existing career and academic advising tools.
5. Hires, trains, and supervises Academic Advisors, Career Program Advisors and Career Center Coordinator.
6. Continually improves upon the LifeMap Tools for student advising, specifically My Education Plan and My Career Plan, in collaboration with front-line users.
7. Collaborates with faculty to integrate advising strategies into courses.
8. Designs and implements staff training to ensure continuous improvement in student learning.
9. Provides strategic leadership and vision for the advising curriculum (career and academic), to include developmental advising approaches that will enhance the educational development of all students and lead to increased student completion.
10. Collaborates to ensure college-wide implementation of advising strategies and systems.
11. Produces reports and data needed to support the evaluation and assessment of career and academic advising strategies.
12. Oversees the schedule of advisors to ensure student advising needs are met.
13. Develops and oversee budget for part-time advisors.
14. Performs other duties as assigned.
1. Master's degree from a regionally accredited institution [Required] preferably in student personnel, counseling and guidance, student services, or higher education administration.
2. Current experience in the field of student persistence and success.
3. Experience in academic advising, career advising or educational counseling [Required].
4. Experience with staff development and evaluation.
5. Experience in higher education, preferably at a public institution and/or community college serving a diverse student population.
6. Leadership ability and excellent communication skills.
7. Demonstrated commitment to diversity.
8. Must be able to perform all of the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation.
Knowledge Skills Abilities
1. Knowledge of community college career and academic programs.
2. Knowledge of strategies and methodologies related to academic advising, career advising and curriculum development.
3. Skill in the use of personal computers and related office software, including Microsoft Word, Excel, and Power Point.
4. Skill in effectively communicating, interpersonally, orally, in writing, and through group facilitation.
5. Ability to organize work, prioritize effectively, and manage multiple projects simultaneously.
6. Ability to research, analyze, and interpret information to make valid decisions, resolve problems, and strategically plan for future needs.
7. Ability to lead, supervise, and develop assigned staff.
8. Ability to prepare related reports, presentations, and training.
9. Ability to work in a collaborative and team environment.
10. Ability to work effectively in a diverse community and meet the needs of diverse student populations.
$49,382 - $61,778 per year
Equal Employment and Preference-Eligibility
Valencia College provides equal opportunity for equal opportunity for employment and educational services to all individuals as it relates to admission to the College or to programs, any aid, benefit, or service to students or wages and other terms, conditions or privileges of employment, without regard to race, color, ethnicity, national origin, age, religion, disability, marital status, gender, sexual orientation, genetic information and any other factor prohibited under applicable federal, state, and local civil rights laws, rules and regulations.
Valencia College extends preference in employment for eligible veterans in accordance to Florida State Statute 295.07.
Please press the apply button in the task box on the right column of this page to proceed and be redirected to the position announcement for this position on Valencia College’s website.