Detailed Job Description
Administer and maintain enterprise-level IT systems, which may include network hardware, server hardware, system software, and applications. Enforce procedures and solve technical issues to ensure availability, reliability, stability, and scalability of systems. Provide problem escalation support as required. Design, plan, and implement large, complex enterprise-level systems to support core organizational functions. This includes new installation and configuration of systems and application along with general maintenance, security, and vendor-supplied updates, basic administration, ad hoc, and execution of processes and procedures for ongoing management of the systems environment.
This position is a career ladder position and will be placed at one of the following levels depending on qualifications.
Grade 37: Graduation from an accredited institution with a bachelor's degree in Information Technology or related field; OR any combination of higher education and work experience related to Information Technology totaling four years.
Grade 39: Graduation from an accredited institution with a bachelor's degree in Information Technology or related field, plus one year of work experience administering and maintaining of enterprise-level IT systems; OR any combination of higher education and work experience totaling five years related to Information Technology, three of which must be directly related to the administering and maintaining of enterprise-level IT systems. In addition, requires a successful completion of one current industry recognized certification within the first year of employment that is directly related to the administering and maintaining of enterprise-level IT systems.
Grade 44: Graduation from an accredited institution with an bachelor's degree in Information Technology or related field, plus three year of work experience administering and maintaining of enterprise-level IT systems; OR an associate degree in Information Technology or related field, plus five years of work experience in Information Technology, four of which must be directly related to the administering and maintaining enterprise-level IT systems; OR any combination of higher education and work experience totaling seven years related to Information Technology, four of which must be directly related to the administering and maintaining of enterprise-level IT systems. In addition, successful completion of one current industry recognized certification that is directly related to the administering and maintaining enterprise-level IT systems is required.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- In depth knowledge and experience with network component analyzers, scanners, testing tools and procedures for voice and data circuits.
- Skill in various computer applications such as Cisco Works, Netflows, Network Management Systems, MRTG, Packet Sniffers, Solar Winds, DNS, DHCP, Syslog, SNMP, spreadsheets, database, internet tools, and performance monitoring tools.
- Proficient with TCP/IP, application network protocols, firewall management, operating system configuration, anti-virus software, and relational databases.
- Advanced knowledge in at least two of the following: Linux, MySQL, Apache, XML, Mac OS, Windows OS, and NOS and Novell Netware.
- Advanced knowledge with Perl, shell, and or scripting tools
- Skill with the installation, configuration, and maintenance of systems hardware.
- Advanced knowledge with enterprise-level LAN and Wireless LAN, routers, hubs, switches, access points, radio frequencies, TCP/IP, IEEE 802.11 protocols, and electromagnetic interference.
- Advanced knowledge with Wireless LAN security threats, and software weaknesses, site surveys/design tools for the purpose of creating efficient and effective Wireless LAN signal overlap, Wireless LAN packet analysis, signal optimization, and mitigation strategies.
- In depth knowledge and experience with SQL, PL/SQL, MySQL, SQL Server, and MS Access.
- Skill in working in a customer service, team-oriented, collaborative environment; highly self-motivated with the ability to learn quickly.
- Advanced knowledge in customer service, interpersonal, oral, and written communications skills.
Special Instructions to Applicants
- To be considered an applicant for employment you must apply online through the UVU.Jobs website.
- To receive full consideration for post-secondary education, please submit copies of transcripts or diploma of highest degree earned. Transcripts do not have to be official copies.
- To be considered in the first screening, the online application and required application documents (see below) must be submitted by the screening or closing date.
- Our system can only accept supplemental documents (such as cover letters or transcripts) in PDF or Word format. The file size of documents must be less than 2MB. It is strongly recommended that you take documents that are not in an electronic form and scan them into a separate black and white PDF file so you can attach them electronically to the online application. You can get help with this at a local copy center if needed.
- Any offer of employment will be contingent upon the results of a background check, which includes a criminal records check. A criminal conviction is not necessarily a bar to employment.
- Application materials become the property of UVU.
- For questions contact Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org.