Detailed Job Description
Shift supervisor within the Security Department responsible for supervising and monitoring day-to-day security operations during an assigned shift.
Essential Job Functions
1. Receives information and special instructions from the Manager, Supervisor and/or Assistant Vice President, Safety, Security and Risk Management.
2. Regulates parking and traffic to prevent accidents and congestion.
3. Patrols college property in an effort to prevent unauthorized loitering, parking, thefts, and vandalism.
4. Coordinates activities and events with the Manager, Supervisor and/or Assistant Vice President, Safety, Security and Risk Management.
5. Deploys shift personnel and resources to meet the operational objectives.
6. Inspects personnel and activities to maintain quality service.
7. Evaluates assigned personnel.
8. Responds to emergencies of a medical, criminal, and mechanical nature.
9. Receives and records service and personnel complaints.
10. Performs investigations of incidents occurring on college property.
11. Takes written statements and depositions from witnesses/victims.
12. Participates in security duties as required.
13. Assumes the supervisors/managers responsibilities in their absence.
14. Generates staffing schedules.
15. Manages the Student Escort Service.
16. Reviews and answers student parking appeals.
17. Directs evening LEO Contractual Services
18. Derives and measures training performance modules
19. Responds as "on-call" person (four hours daily, Monday - Friday; 12 hours each Saturday/Sunday).
20. Other duties as assigned.
1. High school diploma or equivalent.
2. Security officer and supervisory experience.
3. Knowledge of security operations and procedures and various applicable policies, regulations, laws, etc. as they affect the security of the campuses. Ability to apply regulations consistently.
4. Ability to describe people and objects in accurate detail; regulate parking and traffic to prevent accidents and congestion; deploy, assign, and direct personnel.
5. Ability to maintain response to emergency and safety systems.
6. Ability to make effective decisions affecting security operations without supervision and to carry out those decisions in a timely manner.
7. Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
8. Cellular telephone service [required].
9. Certification in First Aid/CPR [required].
10. State of Florida Certificate/License that meets or exceeds Class "D" [required].
11. Ability to operate a motor vehicle safely and responsibly. Valid Florida driver's license [required].
12. The College anticipates that the person filling this position will need to be available throughout the workday and, on some occasions, after regular work hours. Therefore, as a condition of employment, the incumbent is expected to be available by cell phone and is required to provide their current cell phone number to the Human Resources Department and to their immediate supervisor.
13. A demonstrated commitment to diversity.
14. Must be able to perform all of the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accomodation.
Knowledge Skills Abilities
1. Knowledge of crime reporting requirements under the Clery Act.
2. Ability to work effectively in a diverse community and meet the needs of diverse student populations.
Equal Employment and Preference-Eligibility
Valencia College provides equal opportunity for equal opportunity for employment and educational services to all individuals as it relates to admission to the College or to programs, any aid, benefit, or service to students or wages and other terms, conditions or privileges of employment, without regard to race, color, ethnicity, national origin, age, religion, disability, marital status, gender, sexual orientation, genetic information and any other factor prohibited under applicable federal, state, and local civil rights laws, rules and regulations.
Valencia College extends preference in employment for eligible veterans in accordance to Florida State Statute 295.07.
Please press the apply button in the task box on the right column of this page to proceed and be redirected to the position announcement for this position on Valencia College’s website.