Unfortunately, this job is expired as of 7/15/2015.
To continue in your search through the appropriate job categories, click either Administrative Staff, Higher Education Executives, Faculty, Post-Doc and Graduate Assistants, . You can also utilize "guess-free" keyword search tools with up to eight pre-defined criteria. Search for and Apply to academic postings directly from the site. Post your background either confidentially or overtly. Stand out and be discovered!
The academic advisor position(s) report to the College of Professional Studies (CPS) Advising Office and participates in relevant academic advising activities with the University’s Academic Advising Center. This position will be responsible for academic advising and retention for students who have declared majors in CPS. The University is particularly interested in applicants who have experience working with students from diverse backgrounds and a demonstrated commitment to improving access to higher education for under-represented groups.
This posting will be used to fill two positions.
The primary responsibilities are to provide informed guidance and accurate information in the most efficient, accessible, and comprehensive manner possible to assist students in reaching their educational, life, and career goals.
50%- Academic Advising
• Conduct individual advising sessions for students who have declared majors in the College of Professional Studies (CPS).
• Assist with course selection, scheduling, and registration.
• Help with long-term degree planning.
• Assist with and evaluate transfer courses and submit degree exceptions where applicable.
• Refer students to appropriate university resources.
• Provide basic information related to career planning, financial aid, admissions and other applicable information related to student needs.
• Review CPS sections of the University Catalog to ensure all curriculum changes have been accurately reflected to ensure accurate advising.
• Manage caseloads of CPS students.
• Conduct outreach to CPS students by making phone calls and emails to continuing students.
• Assist with the collection of data for the preparation of reporting related to the assessment of advising services.
• Participate in University recruitment events, including outreach and involvement with under-represented gruops.
• Participate in Student Orientation Advising and Registration (SOAR) and CPS Transfer Student Orientations.
• Work with the Admissions office to identify newly admitted CPS majors and contact them regarding orientation and advising.
5%: Training and Professional Development
• Provide advising assistance and training for CPS faculty.
• Participate in advisor training sessions.
• Attend professional development opportunities whenever possible.
5% Other Duties as Assigned
1. Bachelors degree.
2. Must possess error-free written communication skills.
3. Two years of academic advising experience at an accredited post-secondary institution.
4. Experience with academic advising software (Banner, SIS etc.).
5. Experience working with diverse, urban populations, including but not limited to students of color, or other under-represented groups.
1. Master’s degree in Academic Advising or equivalent discipline.
2. At least three years of academic advising experience at an accredited post-secondary institution.
3. Experience with Banner, or equivalent system.
4. Experience working in collaboration with faculty and staff from various academic departments.
5. Exceptional oral and written communication skills.
6. Experience creating and implementing training and/or workshops.
IMPORTANT: In order to be considered as an applicant you must apply via the online application system, www.msudenverjobs.com.
References refers to a list of three professional references and their contact information.
This position description will be used to hire 2 Academic Advisor positions in the College of Professional Studies.
Official transcripts will be required of the candidates selected for hire.
You were inactive for over twenty minutes. To protect you, we have logged you out. Any unsaved data has been lost.