Detailed Job Description
The graduate assistant provides assistance in all phases of coaching the Division II Men’s basketball program including; student-athlete recruitment, game preparation, player evaluation, academic coordination and practice and game coaching. Also provide administrative support as assigned.
- Assist in all aspects of the student athlete development and performance of the Men’s intercollegiate basketball program to include:
- Implementing and coordinating the recruitment process.
- Organizing, recruitment/evaluation of student-athletes.
- Instructing and supervising practices and player conditioning.
- Providing appropriate leadership, direction and supervision relevant to the academic progress and personal development of student-athletes within Men’s basketball program.
- Creating a positive and productive environment for the student-athletes.
- Assist with the administrative functions with the Men’s intercollegiate basketball program:
- Coordinating travel for team trips, recruiting and official visits.
- Monitoring academic progress of student-athletes.
- Participate in promotional and public relations to advance athletic programs by:
- Representing the Department of Athletics at designated University, departmental and community functions.
- Serving in public relations capacities as needed.
- Encouraging staff and student-athletes to participate in community service activities.
- Promote the University’s core values to student’s, co-workers and university community.
- Build effective partnerships with co-workers throughout the University by freely sharing appropriate information and providing assistance when needed.
- Maintaining an environment that is welcoming to persons of all backgrounds, nationalities, and roles.
Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Knowledge of coaching basketball tactics and techniques.
- Ability to motivate student-athletes.
- Leadership skills.
- Ability to effectively work with collegiate student-athletes.
- Demonstrated ability to use computer programs.
- Ability to recruit student athletes.
- Valid driver’s license.
• Well developed interpersonal communication skills to deal with recruits and their parents.
Bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited college or university.
Collegiate basketball background as a player.
Commitment to ensure compliance with all NCAA and University rules and regulations.
Accepted and enrolled in a Saint Leo University Master’s degree program, at time of employment.
Proven ability to provide mentoring and leadership to student athletes.
Previous coaching experience.
Video editing experience.