Detailed Job Description
Responsible for teaching in discipline or discipline areas in which he/she has specific training and/or competence. Plans, organizes, teaches, and provides feedback to promote and direct student learning in keeping with Valencia's learningcentered values and in a manner that meets the essential competencies of a Valencia educator. Engages students outside of class in support of the curriculum and co-curriculum; provides thorough, timely, and effective feedback to students regarding the mastery of course and program learning outcomes; develops curriculum and works collaboratively with colleagues to choose program and/or discipline resources; assists in the selection, development, and evaluation of faculty; participates in and/or leads the activities and governance of the discipline, division, campus, and college; and collaborates with relevant academic discipline and community partners in support of institutional effectiveness and student learning.
West Campus - Position may include instruction at other campus locations.
Essential Job Functions
1. Prepares and delivers instruction to students in assigned modalities (including classroom, hybrid, online, etc.). Prepares instructional materials. Provides feedback on students' progress, including evaluation of student mastery of course and program outcomes.
2. Provides ample periods of time for engaging students in matters related to academic success through posted student engagement hours.
3. Prepares and submits required documentation including course syllabi, student attendance, final course grades, and other information as requested or required by the college.
4. Participates in, and contributes to curriculum development by planning, developing, and evaluating new and existing courses and curriculum.
5. Participates in developing and implementing college policies, guiding principles, objectives and functions in accordance with the philosophy of the college.
6. Participates in department/division meetings, serves on committees, and participates in other college activities.
7. Maintains and disseminates current information pertaining to services available to students throughout the college.
8. Is familiar with and maintains behavior and actions consistent with college policies.
9. Maintains professional development/growth according to personal needs, in fulfillment of annual performance development plans, and as required for certification.
10. Performs other duties as assigned.
1. Appropriate level of education [required] See Credentials Procedures Manual at: http://valenciacollege.edu/faculty/forms/credentials/
2. Teaching experience at the community college level. (In some cases, related work experiences in the field, professional licensure and certifications, honors and awards, continuous documented excellence in teaching, or other demonstrated competencies and achievements that contribute to effective teaching and student learning outcomes may be used to support an application in lieu of degree and course work requirements).
3. Professional commitment to education.
4. A demonstrated commitment to diversity.
5. Ability to perform all of the Essential Functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation.
6. Ability to work evening and/or weekend hours and travel between campus locations as required.
Knowledge Skills Abilities
1. Knowledge and understanding of learning-centered values.
2. Ability to design learning opportunities that promote student life skills development while enhancing discipline learning. Demonstrated understanding of developmental advising (Valencia's LifeMap) and competency-based learning (LifeMap).
3. Ability to develop and implement diverse teaching and learning strategies that accommodate the learning styles of students and that promote both acquisition and applications of knowledge and understanding (Learning Centered Teaching Strategies).
4. Ability to use consistent, timely formative and summative assessment measures to enhance learning (Assessment).
5. Ability to design learning opportunities that acknowledge, draw upon and are enriched by student diversity in the learning environment (Inclusion and Diversity).
6. Ability to design and implement curriculum that aligns elements of student learning toward growth in the Student Core Competencies and progression through course sequences (Outcomes-Based Practice).
7. Commitment to stay current and continually improve knowledge and understanding of the discipline (Professional Commitment).
8. Ability to continuously examine the effectiveness of teaching, counseling, librarianship and assessment methodologies in terms of student learning by engaging in the scholarship of teaching and learning (Scholarship of Teaching and Learning).
9. Knowledge of, ability to develop, and commitment to use emerging technologies and alternative delivery methods appropriately, including online delivery, hybrid course options, content software, web-enhancements, etc.
10. Skill in the use of personal computers and general office software.
11. Ability to effectively communicate interpersonally (in group and one-on-one settings), orally, and in writing.
Equal Employment and Preference-Eligibility
Valencia College provides equal opportunity for equal opportunity for employment and educational services to all individuals as it relates to admission to the College or to programs, any aid, benefit, or service to students or wages and other terms, conditions or privileges of employment, without regard to race, color, ethnicity, national origin, age, religion, disability, marital status, gender, sexual orientation, genetic information and any other factor prohibited under applicable federal, state, and local civil rights laws, rules and regulations.
Valencia College extends preference in employment for eligible veterans in accordance to Florida State Statute 295.07.
Please press the apply button in the task box on the right column of this page to proceed and be redirected to the position announcement for this position on Valencia College’s website.