Detailed Job Description
The Extended Opportunity Program & Services (EOPS) department is seeking a talented individual to fill the position of Program Assistant.
Mission College is located in the heart of Silicon Valley. Our staff and faculty are among the most qualified in the state and our students appreciate the college for its friendly staff and supportive atmosphere.
Under direction of an assigned supervisor, assist a program manager by implementing routine, but specialized, aspects of an instructional, administrative or student services program independently; perform a wide variety of specialized clerical duties involving database management and budget control; train and provide work direction to student or hourly clerical assistants as assigned.
Applicants who possess the knowledge, skills, and life experiences to address the cultural and educational needs of a culturally diverse student population are encouraged to apply.
100% of full time, 37.5 hours per week, 12 months per year, with anticipated start date of August 19, 2015. Schedule may change to include some evening or weekend hours, as needed. This position is a member of the West Valley-Mission Classified Employees Association (WVMCEA), Office, Technical & Business Services Employee Unit.
Work Location: Mission College, Santa Clara, CA.
We have begun a district-wide classification study of all regular, non-faculty staff positions. A classification study is a process of studying, analyzing, and describing the nature and level of work performed by employees. This classification study will ultimately produce uniform job descriptions for every employee.
The classification study will also include a compensation study that will provide information on what other employers pay employees who are performing similar duties. The District will use this information to ensure that our employees are adequately compensated.
The classification study started in November 2014 and is expected to take approximately 9-12 months to complete. As a result of this study, it is possible for the job description and/or compensation to change in this position opening.
Any combination equivalent to:
1. Education – Graduation from high school including or supplemented by clerical training, including office practices and procedures;
2. Experience – Three years of increasingly responsible clerical experience involving public contact and microcomputer operation, including one year as sole clerical support in an office;
3. Demonstrated ability to effectively work with persons of diverse socioeconomic, cultural, disability, and ethnic backgrounds.
- EOPS experience desired
- Bilingual ability preferred – Vietnamese, Spanish
Examples of Duties and Responsibilities
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty of the position satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions required for the position.
- Serve as initial source of information and assistance to persons contacting program office in person and on the telephone; answer questions and explain program requirements and procedures; provide information about schedules, policies and procedures, registration, course offerings or other program services; refer callers areas of the college as appropriate.
- Review requests for information, appeal or action by electronic mail, mail, telephone or in person; determine appropriate course of action and respond appropriately; provide information and assistance to administrative, academic and support staff as appropriate.
- Process registration requests; accept registration payments, authorize refunds and maintain required records; process adds, drops, reinstatements, withdrawals and related registration transactions.
- Provide clerical support to assigned function; distribute, explain, receive, review, process, enter, check, compile, verify, track, retrieve, maintain and file a variety of data, forms, applications, records and petitions; process, prepare, issue and distribute other program information and material as required.
- Monitor budget balances and expenditures; recommend budget revisions related to office supplies; prepare purchase requisitions as authorized.
- Prepare, maintain and distribute a variety of financial, statistical or narrative documents, specifications, records or reports related to assignment; assure appropriate or requested action by monitoring and following up as necessary.
- Operate a computer, mainframe computer terminal, multi–line telephone console, fax machine, copier, calculator and other office equipment related to assignment.
- Schedule facilities, meetings or travel arrangements and maintain calendars; complete related reports as assigned.
- Receive, open, sort, route and distribute mail and faxes; order, store and maintain office supplies; order forms and other items as required.
- Type correspondence, requisitions, memos, forms, reports and related material independently or from rough draft, copy, notes or oral instructions; format, proofread, edit, print, duplicate and distribute as appropriate.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
Knowledge and Abilities
- Modern office practices, procedures and equipment.
- Operation of computer equipment and various software programs including word processing, database management and spreadsheet computer applications software, internet and e-mail.
- Operation of office equipment, such as fax machine, copier and electronic telephone system.
- Correct English usage, spelling, grammar and vocabulary.
- Oral and written communication skills.
- Interpersonal skills including tact, patience and diplomacy.
- Telephone techniques and etiquette.
- Data entry techniques.
- Record keeping and filing methods.
- Learn specifics of assigned program quickly and accurately.
- Perform responsible and difficult clerical work with speed and accuracy.
- Learn, interpret apply and explain rules, laws, policies and procedures and apply them with good judgment in a variety of procedural situations.
- Receive, record, verify, process and document information.
- Process documents accurately and in a timely manner.
- Maintain accurate records and databases using computers and peripheral equipment.
- Carry out verbal and written directions independently.
- Establish and maintain effective and cooperative working relationships with others.
- Communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Analyze situations and adopt an effective course of action.
- Work effectively with frequent interruptions and stringent timelines.
- Apply and explain procedures and requirements for area of assignment.
- Collect, compile and analyze data.
- Make arithmetical calculations with speed and accuracy.
- Operate office equipment such as computer, computer terminal, printer, calculator, copier and fax machine.
- Use word processing, spreadsheet and data base management computer software effectively.
- Operate a keyboard at a speed of not less than 50 word per minute from clear copy.
- Take and transcribe dictation as required.
- Relate effectively to people of varied academic, cultural and socio–economic background using tact, diplomacy and courtesy.
- Work independently with minimum supervision.
Salary and Benefits
West Valley-Mission Community College District is an Equal Opportunity Employer
- Anticipated Hiring Range: $3,734–$4,057 monthly (WVMCEA Salary Schedule, Range 54, Steps A-C).
- Employer-contributed medical, dental and vision for employee and dependents, to include domestic partner.
- Employer-paid long term disability for employee.
- Voluntary life insurance.
- 13 paid holidays, plus 1 floating holiday annually; paid non-workdays between Christmas and New Year.
- Up to 22 days vacation leave accrued annually.
- 12 days sick leave accrued annually.
- Personal necessity leave and personal business leave.
- Educational growth incentive program from $40 to $200 monthly.
- $500 longevity award annually after 15 years of service and $1,000 longevity award annually after 20 years of service.
- CalPERS retirement.
- Position is union affiliated with required dues.