Unfortunately, this job is expired as of 8/15/2015.
To continue in your search through the appropriate job categories, click either Administrative Staff, Higher Education Executives, Faculty, Post-Doc and Graduate Assistants, . You can also utilize "guess-free" keyword search tools with up to eight pre-defined criteria. Search for and Apply to academic postings directly from the site. Post your background either confidentially or overtly. Stand out and be discovered!
Systems Architect – LMS
Department: Academic Technology Services
Systems Architects design, maintain, and recommend system architecture changes to the ITS administration to accommodate advances in technology and provide the next generation of learning technologies at the University of San Diego. They must have a strong background in Unix, Linux, Windows, and OSX Server Software; Server Virtualization and Cloud Computing. With the primary focus on the Learning Management System (Blackboard Learn) the systems architects works on the design, development, support, and administration of the Bb/LMS architecture and environment. The incumbent performs relational database administration duties and related data integration planning, testing, backups, and implementation of BB Learn releases, service packs; building block testing, installations, and security patches. With specific duties to include and not limited to performing migration, installation, upgrades, archiving, data backup, restore, integrate LMS with other systems, SIS integration, system scripting, and programming work associated with maintaining and expanding LMS system automation and integration with third party systems. The Systems Architect ensures that services are available 24x7 and performs continuous monitoring and support for the critical system.
In addition, the Network System Architect must have an excellent working knowledge of databases and performance tuning for Access, Oracle, MySQL, and DB2. The responsibilities will evolve with time as the learning technologies moves more towards the cloud-computing infrastructure, or when additional modules and add-ons to the current infrastructure will be required.
This position works with minimal supervision and receives general direction from the Sr. Director of Academic Technology Services. Must be able to work independently or in teams on assigned tasks with a high degree of technical judgment. Conducts LMS meetings to inform technical teams and stakeholders.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Responsible for management of critical central system servers supported and maintained by ITS.
• Responsible for management of supported departmental servers in support of learning technology services (Linux, Windows)
• Provide support for users, ITS staff, and professionals.
* Bachelor’s degree in in Computer Science, Engineering, or IT related field, and 4 years of experience or 8 years of increasing responsibilities in enterprise computer systems administration, or Learning Management System backend services
* Proven experience managing LMS-Blackboard and with building block integration
* Proven experience with integration of video and interactive technologies within LMS
* Experience with Web Conferencing/Collaborate and other built in modules in LMS
* Knowledge of TCP/IP networking and equipment including Cisco Systems
* Knowledge of Unix, Windows and Mac OSX OS
* Knowledge of database use and functionality as related to web interface and LMS
* Knowledge of email server packages and enterprise email system design
* Knowledge of various network server software packages.
* Familiarity with web scripting (HTML, Perl, PHP, UNIX scripts)
* Familiarity with variety of web browsers, Java, and e-mail clients (e.g., IE Explorer, Netscape Navigator/Composer)
* Ability to prioritize workload effectively & work with a high level of independence
* Ability to project manage and meet deadlines
* Ability to concisely and clearly write technical documentation
* Ability to work effectively under pressure
* Demonstrated skills in both written and oral communication
Performance Expectations: Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
• Customer service orientation.
• Ability to manage multiple cluster of Blackboard servers (production/development/staging)
• Ability to manage integrated platforms and systems
• Ability to design and implement enterprise systems (i.e., server and network infrastructure)
• Proficient skill with Windows, OSX, Unix, and command line and scripting
• The ability to install and troubleshoot network devices such as routers, switches, etc.
• Sufficient working knowledge of database concepts and particular knowledge of database applications (i.e., ODBC, MySQL, MSSQL and Oracle)
• Excellent written and oral communication skills
• The ability to act as a team leader or coordinator for ITS-related data projects
• Managing multiple tasks
• Teamwork with network operations, technicians and support for LMS and other integrated platforms
• Establishing and maintaining strong working relationships with colleagues, faculty, administrators and staff
• The willingness and ability to represent the University in the most positive manner to former, current, and prospective students and their families, clients, vendors and the community we serve
• Performs the functions of architect, designer, programmer and project manager for the implementation of solutions
• Performs quality assurance activities including the development and execution of all test plan types: unit, system, regression and performance testing
• Strong foundation in systems and applications administration principles. This includes change management, systems automation, capacity planning, and documentation and the ability to meet with faculty, administrators and staff to correctly ascertain their needs and requirements.
• Excellent organizational skills
• The ability to work independently or in a group to achieve a common goal.
• Flexibility in order to contribute within this dynamic environment.
• Having excellent instructional, human relations and problem-solving skills.
• The ability to handle confidential information with tact and discretion.
• The ability to work with varying levels of supervision
• Strong analytical and troubleshooting skills for solving complex system and user support
• A commitment to department staff through ongoing training and other personal advancement techniques.
Background check: Successful completion of a pre-employment background check.
Degree Verification Requirement: Persons offered employment in this position will be required to provide official education transcripts for degree verification purposes. Serious candidates are encouraged to request official transcripts to help expedite the hiring process.
Salary: Commensurate with experience; Excellent Benefits.
The University of San Diego offers a very competitive benefits package, to include medical, dental, vision, a 12% retirement contribution given to you by the University, and access to on-campus Fitness Centers. Please visit the benefits section of our website to view all of the perks and benefits that USD has to offer. USD: Business & Administration: Human Resources: Benefits
Hours: 37.5 per week
Closing date: Open Until Filled
Note: External job postings will be up for at least five days. After that time, applications will be reviewed by the hiring manager/committee throughout the posting period. A candidate may be selected at any time which could then close this posting on a date earlier than listed.
The University of San Diego is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion and is especially interested in candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of the campus community.
The University of San Diego will be a smoking and tobacco-free campus effective August 18, 2015. For more information, visit www.sandiego.edu/smokefree.
Click http://apptrkr.com/201529479 to complete our online application. In addition, please upload a cover letter and resume to your application profile for the hiring managers’ review. If you have any questions or difficulties please contact the Employment Services Team at 619-260-6806, or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
You were inactive for over twenty minutes. To protect you, we have logged you out. Any unsaved data has been lost.