Detailed Job Description
The Assistant SID supports the Sports Information Director in maintaining and increasing the visibility and reputation of Bates Athletics and its 31 varsity sports teams with Bates constituencies as well as national, regional, and local news and social media. The ASID is primarily responsible for game coverage (scorekeeping, reporting, and recordkeeping of athletic events) of a wide range of sports and athletic events, along with coverage of awards and other news and feature stories as assigned. This includes producing and distributing releases to sports media, in addition to posting new information on the Bates athletics website and social media accounts, and keeping online rosters, statistics, and schedules up to date.
The ASID contributes to media pitches, hometown and regional media releases, score reporting, website maintenance, and publications that serve Athletics, Admissions and Advancement. The ASID produces and delivers game programs for non-football home athletic events. This position requires working evenings and weekends.
The position includes room for personal development and initiative. The ASID will have opportunities to generate new ideas and/or creative content while staying true to the mission of the department.
- Assist with game-day management of news and features about all home and post-season athletic contests, including publicity, scorekeeping, and statistics.
- Produce, post, and distribute releases on varsity athletic events and hometown and regional media releases on non-game-related Bates Athletics news.
- Produce and deliver game-day programs for home events other than football.
- Provide NESCAC office, NCAA, and other institutions with necessary information and/or materials.
- Keep game-day scores and statistics.
- Maintain basic elements of the athletics website (rosters, schedules, menus, links) daily.
- Contribute on a daily basis to Bates Sports Information’s social media accounts (e.g.. Facebook and Twitter)
- Engage a range of audiences for Bates Athletics through social media.
- Share contest information pre-event (rosters, logos) and post-event (e.g. packed stat files) with other SIDs and other appropriate parties (e.g. NESCAC, NCAA)
- Draft scripts for PA announcers for pre-game introductions and halftime presentations (particularly for football).
- Prepare nominations for weekly athletics honors.
- Contribute to production of video interviews for season previews, post-game comments, etc.
- Produce internal communications such as slide show for end-of-year senior reception, etc.
- Undertake broader-picture stories, projects, and issues as assigned.
- Collaborate with other members of the Bates Communications Office, a team of 15+ writers, designers, photographers, etc.
- Bachelor’s degree with at least one year of professional experience in college sports information or a related field.
- Strong interpersonal, writing and editing skills.
- An understanding of a broad range of college sports.
- Facility with the expression of statistics in sport reporting
- Demonstrated ability to work quickly and well on deadline and under pressure.
- Basic photography skills.
- Careful attention to detail.
- Experience using StatCrew software for baseball/softball, basketball, football, soccer/field hockey, lacrosse, and volleyball.
- Experience with Presto Sports athletic website management.
- Working knowledge of InDesign, Photoshop, website management systems, and video software.
- Familiarity with the landscape of Bates athletics.
- Experience working at a residential liberal arts college.
- Office environment; indoor gymnasiums and outdoor sites of competition; sitting or standing for prolonged periods of time, either at a computer or in the elements (often harsh weather) or both.
- Extensive weekend and evening office hours, with occasional travel to athletic events outside of Lewiston.
Please submit a cover letter, resume and contact information for three professional references.
This position requires successful completion of a pre-employment background screening.
Bates College is committed to the principle of equal opportunity and providing an educational and work environment free from discrimination. The college prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression, age, disability, genetic information or veteran status and other legally protected statuses in the recruitment and admission of its students, in the administration of its education policies and programs, or in the recruitment of its faculty and staff. Bates College adheres to all applicable state and federal equal opportunity laws and regulations. All college faculty, staff, students, contractors, visitors, and volunteers are responsible for understanding and complying with the Non-Discrimination Policy.