Detailed Job Description
Founded in 1863, Saint Mary's is a residential campus nestled 20 miles east of San Francisco in the picturesque Moraga Valley. Based in the Catholic, Lasallian and Liberal Arts traditions, Saint Mary's currently enrolls more than 4,000 students from diverse backgrounds in undergraduate and graduate programs. The De La Salle Christian Brothers, the largest teaching order of the Roman Catholic Church, guide the spiritual and academic character of the College.
As a comprehensive and independent institution, Saint Mary’s offers undergraduate and graduate programs integrating liberal and professional education. Saint Mary’s reputation for excellence, innovation and responsiveness in education stems from its vibrant heritage as a Catholic, Lasallian and Liberal Arts institution. An outstanding, committed faculty and staff that value shared inquiry, integrative learning and student interaction bring these traditions to life in the 21st century. The College is committed to the educational benefits of diversity.
ResponsibilitiesThe Assistant to the Dean provides executive, administrative, and analytical support to the Dean in a variety of areas including: superior administrative support; management of the Dean's office; confidential correspondence; maintenance of the Dean's calendar, committees and lists; interfacing with the Advisory Board and donors; facilities oversight and special projects.
Manage the Dean's office and the administrative office, and provide superior support directly to the Dean in all clerical tasks including copying, filing, faxing, preparing documents, correspondence, meeting preparation, and other areas as assigned.Provide primary, executive level, high quality administrative support for the Dean's Office. Works on a variety of complex assignments generally of a critical and/or confidential nature. Acts independently to identify and recommend methods and procedures.
Represent the Dean's Office in a professional manner and with strict confidentiality and sensitivity.
Committee and List Management:
- Support the Dean in key meetings, including SEBA Administrative Council, SEBA faculty and staff meetings, SEBA Advisory Board meetings, Executive Speakers Series. Prepare relevant materials for key meetings the Dean attends.
- Take and manage key meeting minutes.
- Manage the Dean's calendar in an accurate and timely manner, including verifying and reminding participants for key meetings, providing meeting agendas and materials, and making travel arrangements. Work with external parties and internal offices of Saint Mary's to arrange meetings, locations and schedules.
- Manage business trips for the Dean and prepare related expense reports. Plan logistics of travel, register for conferences, make reservations.
- Keep the Dean well informed as necessary about activities, information, or concerns about the School.
- Represents the office of the Dean in the absence of the Dean or other office personnel.
- Hires and manages 1-2 student workers in the Dean's office.
- Represent SEBA on Administrative Assistant work group.
Communications Management: Handles a broad range of complex inquiries, issues and confidential materials and may have significant interaction with VIP guests. Act on behalf of the Dean's office for external relations with the SEBA Advisory Board and potential donors. Prepare and distribute Dean's communications. Liaison with SEBA Advisory Board, managing member lists, arranging for meetings, corresponding in writing and by phone. Attends meetings, provides setup and clerical support, takes minutes.
Assist the Dean in managing faculty-related matters consistent with the SMC Faculty Handbook. Provides all clerical and organizational support to the Dean's office with respect to faculty committees, lists, and confidential assignments related to faculty matters. Track and maintain critical lists for the School including committee assignments, awards, faculty evaluations, faculty service,master teaching assignments, sabbaticals, R&T letters, and lists of external speakers. Coordinate SEBA elections for committees and awards.
Facilities Oversight and Office Management: Responsible in conjunction with the Administrative Assistant for planning, oversight and execution of changes, upgrades and renovations of all SEBA spaces on campus, including the 3rd floor of Galileo and any future building space. Create and revise plans for faculty office arrangement and sharing in advance of new semesters. Offer suggestions which support ongoing improvement of the look and functioning of offices and common areas.
Provide back-up reception when Administrative Assistant is out of the office. Answer telephones and manage drop-ins from faculty, staff, students, and the public. Serve as backup administrative support to faculty, the Executive Director of Finance and Administration, and the Associate Dean for Undergraduate Programs.
Experience and Qualifications:High School degree or equivalency. BA or Master's preferred
- Work in the field of business or with education in a fast-paced environment. Executive Assistant experience is a strong plus. Ability to lead and work with diverse personalities.
- Familiarity with Microsoft Word and Excel, PowerPoint, superb written and verbal skills.
- Must be able to work with the community external to Saint Mary's College with confidentiality and professionalism.
Must be able to work on weekends and evenings when needed.
Depends on Qualifications
Application Instructions: Please apply on-line at http://jobs.stmarys-ca.edu. Include a cover letter that specifically addresses how you meet the qualifications and are prepared to support the mission of the College. A complete application includes: A letter of interest and how you are prepared to support the Mission of the College A resume and an on-line application The name and contact information for three (3) professional references. Candidates who submit names of references should expect that references will be contacted, in confidence, by the College and that credentials will be confirmed prior to hire. Candidates who become finalists will be expected to sign a consent authorizing a broader inquiry.Saint Mary's is an equal employment opportunity employer. We support inclusive excellence and are committed to creating a safe and welcoming community for all.