Detailed Job Description
Responsible for teaching in a continuing education discipline in which he/she has specific training and/or competence. Plans, organizes, and facilitates in a manner to promote and guide successful student knowledge/skill acquisition, either on-campus or at off-campus sites, in keeping with Valencia's learning-centered values and goals. Language instructors guide successful language acquisition in keeping with the Communicative Approach to foreign language instruction.
Essential Job Functions
1. Prepares for and conducts instructor-led courses and/or workshops utilizing the provided lesson plans, materials and technologies.
2. Maintains a safe classroom environment conducive to communicative, student-centered participation and knowledge/skill transfer.
3. Communicates effectively with administration via email and in person regarding student issues, teacher contracts, teaching schedules and other program-related items.
4. Serves as a liaison between administration and students to communicate program information, student issues, schedule updates, and related organized activities, as necessary.
5. Follows department guidelines and manuals on student homework, assessment, grading, and closing out courses.
6. May participate in and/or contribute to curriculum development by planning, developing, and evaluating new and existing courses and curriculum.
7. Participates in implementing policies, guiding principles, objectives and functions in accordance with the philosophy of Continuing Education and Valencia College.
8. Keeps current on discipline specific methodology and implements new ideas into classroom instruction. Integrates feedback from department administration to improve student learning.
9. Participates in training and professional development programs as required by the department. Maintains professional development/growth according to personal needs and certification requirements.
10. Familiar with and maintains behavior and actions consistent with college policies and practices.
11. Performs other duties as assigned.
1. Bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited institution or applicable certification [required].
2. Age appropriate facilitation/instruction experience for particular teaching position [required].
3. Language instruction courses require native-like fluency and pronunciation in the target language [required].
4. Some courses may require certification appropriate to subject matter.
5. Professional commitment to learning.
6. Must be able to perform all of the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation.
Knowledge Skills Abilities
1. Knowledge and understanding of learning-centered values and goals.
2. Skill in the use of personal computers and general office software.
3. Ability to effectively communicate interpersonally (in group and one-on-one settings), orally, and in writing.
4. Ability to develop strategies that will promote successful acquisition of knowledge, skills and abilities in a learning-centered environment.
5. Ability to use observational, verbal or written assessment to direct and enhance learning.
6. Ability to form an inclusive environment that respects diverse students, talents and methods of learning.
7. Ability to develop, and commitment to use emerging technologies and alternative delivery methods appropriately, including but not limited to: on-line deliver, hybrid course options, content software, web-enhancements, etc.
8. Ability to work effectively in a diverse community and meet the needs of diverse student populations.
Equal Employment and Preference-Eligibility
Valencia College provides equal opportunity for equal opportunity for employment and educational services to all individuals as it relates to admission to the College or to programs, any aid, benefit, or service to students or wages and other terms, conditions or privileges of employment, without regard to race, color, ethnicity, national origin, age, religion, disability, marital status, gender, sexual orientation, genetic information and any other factor prohibited under applicable federal, state, and local civil rights laws, rules and regulations.
Valencia College extends preference in employment for eligible veterans in accordance to Florida State Statute 295.07.
Please press the apply button in the task box on the right column of this page to proceed and be redirected to the position announcement for this position on Valencia College’s website.