Unfortunately, this job is expired as of 10/24/2015.
To continue in your search through the appropriate job categories, click either Administrative Staff, Higher Education Executives, Faculty, Post-Doc and Graduate Assistants, . You can also utilize "guess-free" keyword search tools with up to eight pre-defined criteria. Search for and Apply to academic postings directly from the site. Post your background either confidentially or overtly. Stand out and be discovered!
The Biology Department at Stonehill College invites applicants for a 9 months, full-time, lab instructor and coordinator position to begin in August 2015.
The position involves teaching 4 laboratory sections of Cell Biology (Fall), teaching 4 laboratory sections of Genetics (Spring) and coordinating the support (ordering, set up and clean up) of all the lab sections.
• Work closely with the faculty teaching BIO 211 and BIO 212 in making sure the lab exercises effectively supplement the topics covered in lectures.
• Test, modify, refine and update experiments before they are introduced into the curriculum. Update the course content, syllabus and lab manual yearly or as needed.
• Order all chemicals or lab supplies needed for BIO 211 & BIO 212 labs. Process all the invoices as needed.
• Provide laboratory support and preparation for all lab instructors of BIO 211 Cell Biology and BIO 212 Genetics. Laboratory preparation includes but it is not limited to preparing chemicals, solutions, and culture media; maintaining bacteria cultures; operating equipment and instrumentation used in teaching laboratories; coordinating the set up and clean up of each laboratory section;
• Keep organized, thorough and clear records of the chemicals, solutions, equipment and preparations required for each weekly lab.
• Recruit, train and supervise the work-study students hired to support BIO 211 & BIO 212. Establish the work-study schedule that will efficiently support all the lab sections.
• Keep the Cell Biology & Genetics Lab Prep Room (#223) and the labs rooms (#229 and #221) clean,
organized and stocked.
• Assist the Biology Lab Director with managing inventory, maintaining lab equipment, etc.
• Dispose of chemical and biological waste in the proper manner.
• Insures that the Cell Biology and Genetics labs are in compliance with Chemical Hygiene Plan.
• Attend weekly laboratory meetings if requested by Cell Bio or Genetics course instructor. Communicates effectively with the Lab Instructors and work-study Lab Assistants to provide necessary support.
• Attend Biology Department meetings if requested by Biology Chairperson.
A minimum of a Masters in Biology or related field is required.
We are particularly interested in candidates with lab teaching experience at the undergraduate level, excellent scientific writing skills, and effective managing and organizational skills.
Laboratory Skills: experience with molecular biology and microbial techniques like PCR, ELISA, SDS PAGE, Western Blots, column chromatography, gel electrophoresis, DNA & RNA isolations, DNA cloning and sequencing. Experience maintaining cultures of E. coli, S. cerevisiae, and D. melanogaster.
Writing skills: able to teach and assist students with their science writing-intensive assignments.
Project Management: coordinates the preparation of different labs so that the set up and clean up processes do not interfere with the upcoming lab sections. Thinks ahead to determine future lab needs.
Written Communication: writes clearly and informatively so that others can read the relevant information; able to read and interpret written information.
Quality Management: looks for ways to improve and promote quality of lab preps and equipment
Cost Consciousness: conserves resources and implements cost saving measures.
Organization and Neatness: maintain a high level of cleanliness and organization in the labs and Prep Rooms.
Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled. Application documents will include: letter of application (cover letter), curriculum vitae/resume, graduate and undergraduate transcripts, and three letters of recommendation.
Applicants who will enrich the diversity of the campus community are strongly encouraged to apply. Stonehill College is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity.
You were inactive for over twenty minutes. To protect you, we have logged you out. Any unsaved data has been lost.