Detailed Job Description
Job ID 465
The Global Initiatives Associate Director for International Health & Safety leads the Miami University Global Assistance Program (MU-GAP) to oversee all policies, procedures, orientation, and training activities to promote the health, safety, and security of academic travel. This position requires a high level of collaboration and coordination with key stakeholders across institutional divisions and the profession.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Associate Director is responsible for the leading the collaborative development and implementation of policies and procedures, as well as programs that promote safety and transformative learning experiences by minimizing the associated risks and providing guidance and expertise
Policy development, review, coordination, implementation and compliance
- Development, coordination, and regular review of policies, procedures, and activities associated with health, safety, and welfare of Miami University students and personnel traveling abroad or domestically for university sponsored or sanctioned activity, and for international students.
- Set standards and reviews all provider contracts associated with student mobility programs.
- Develop and maintain ongoing emergency preparedness and response plans for traveling programs.
- Develop and maintain student, faculty, and staff safety and security handbooks (print and online).
- Collaborate to ensure compliance with FERPA, Clery Act, export control policies, and federal program integrity regulations, including state authorization.
- Coordinate risk management and crisis response protocols and policies with approved providers for study abroad.
Risk analysis and management
- Proactive travel risk assessment. Monitor world events, issues, and legal decisions affecting global programs across higher education.
- Proactively develop and communicate actionable health, safety, and security alerts, briefings, and updates to university constituents in coordination with key stakeholders.
- Create and maintain systems for reporting safety and security incidents through government and professional organization contacts.
- Coordinate coverages with global health care insurance providers, and in collaboration with human resources and health and safety staff.
- Coordinate response to real or perceived crises in travel programs.
- Collaborate in response to international students in crisis on campus.
- Provide timely and thorough briefings to university leadership regarding incidents to promote effective decision-making.
Training and outreach
- Develop and implement health, safety, and security outreach and training programs for students, faculty, and staff involved in study and research abroad, in collaboration with the Forum on Education Abroad, NAFSA, and others.
- Deliver orientation and training in large and small groups, online and in person, in collaboration with university experts and the Forum on Education.
- This position will require 24/7 emergency response coverage, with attention to smooth transfer of responsibilities or responsibility sharing during travel, illness, or vacation.
- Required to carry emergency phone.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Three to five years of experience in international education or related field.
- Experience in health, safety, and security, including global crisis response.
- International risk assessment experience.
- Demonstrated experience collaborating effectively with faculty and stakeholders.
- Passport required.
- Counseling/social work experience.
- Graduate, professional, or terminal degree in a related field.
- Working knowledge of Forum on Education Abroad standards and application; Forum on Education Abroad certification.
- Experience living, studying, or working abroad.
- Experience coordinating or leading university level study abroad programs.
Special Instructions to Applicant
Inquiries only to Donna Gouvan at firstname.lastname@example.org
Miami University, an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer with smoke- and tobacco-free campuses, is committed to a multicultural environment and strongly encourages applications from minorities, females, veterans and individuals with disabilities.