Detailed Job Description
Embry-Riddle is accepting applications for a Controller with an ability to provide leadership in the organization's accounting and related functions. The Controller will be expected to continually look for ways to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of the group. When needed, the individual will benchmark against best practices and implement positive change. The Controller works under the direction of the Senior Vice President and Chief Financial Officer, and is a strategic partner in the production of standard and ad-hoc financial reports and presentations to provide management timely information on financial data. A wide degree of business acumen, accounting knowledge, and strong communication skills are essential. The position will lead a team of 44 accounting professionals in General Ledger, Accounts Payable, Treasury Management, Accounting Systems, Bursar and Student Financial Systems.
- Develop, implement and maintain accounting policies and procedures in compliance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and applicable tax regulations, and ensure accurate accounting of all financial transactions.
- Take the initiative to propose and implement modifications to existing accounting policies and procedures where there is an opportunity for efficiency or improved decision support; ensure that current practices meet the evolving needs of the University.
- Consult with and advise the Senior Vice President and Chief Financial Officer on matters requiring attention. Respond to a wide variety of special projects and reporting requests with complete, accurate and timely work.
- Relate to people at all levels of the University and articulate complex accounting and finance information through effective written and oral communications that can be understood by varying audiences. Help develop effective tools for management reporting of financial information.
- Mentor individuals within the organization and assist direct reports in a hands-on manner with the accounting for complex transactions.
- Foster a standard of superior service to all customers, working collaboratively with other departments, to ensure a cooperative and mutually beneficial relationship. Maintain professional standards and affiliations within the department to keep current in trends, regulations and changes in the accounting field. Oversee budget responsibility for the Accounting department, including management of labor resources.
- Lead the General Ledger team, with the support of the Assistant Controller, in coordinating the flow of financial data through automated systems or other means, culminating in an accurate general ledger and monthly/annual financial statements prepared on a timely basis in accordance with GAAP.
- Lead the Accounts Payable team ensuring timely processing of payables, accurate and timely reporting, and maintenance of vendor relations.
- Lead Treasury Management personnel in ensuring the investment and cash management policies are appropriate for maximized earnings and limited exposure to principal loss, coordinating and overseeing banking relationships, managing and monitoring short and long term investments, and monitoring daily university cash flow.
- Lead the Bursar and Student Financial Systems team in assessing charges and credits, student billing and collections efforts, recording and depositing cash receipts, and other core functions.
- Lead the Accounting Systems team in implementing and maintaining various university financial systems.
- Oversee external audit requests ensuring timely and accurate completion of all audit schedules.
- Develop and monitor robust internal controls for fraud, errors, and omissions within cash accounts, accounts payable, and investments.
- On a routine basis, monitor and ensure the university's compliance with all debt covenants.
The minimum requirements are a bachelor's degree in Accounting, CPA certification, and 10+ years of progressive responsibilities in an accounting organization, at least five of which are within an institution of higher education. Ideal candidates will also have an MBA, CMA or similar advanced degree or certification, and additional experience in higher education preferably in a private, not-for-profit university.