Detailed Job Description
- Supports the Chief by providing direction, guidance and supervision of subordinate staff
- Assists the Chief in developing the duty schedule and ensures that each shift is adequately staffed; this includes any special events that require support personnel
- Makes periodic inspections of all operations to ascertain that such operations are functioning effectively and efficiently
- Keeps the Chief informed of daily shift activities and Clery compliance issues
- Plans, coordinates and supervises staffing for special events on campus
- Assists the Chief in Formulating uniform crime reports from the computerized Records Management System, monthly and yearly crime statistics mandated by the Campus Security Act.
- Oversees the Sex Offender Community Notification system on campus and maintain a relationship with the local agencies Sex Offender Unit and the Mass Sex Offender Registry Board.
- Ensures departmental compliance with written SOP's and current community policing methods
- Writes evaluations for staff of lower rank using proper evaluation methods
- Responsible for the supervision of day-to-day operations.
- "On Call" on a 24 / 7 basis as needed
- Enforces all Massachusetts state laws, College rules, regulations and makes arrests on all properties owned and leased by Bunker Hill Community College
- Works as an active member of the Emergency Management Response team
- Leads by example and encourages all sworn and non-sworn members of the department to conduct themselves with a demeanor and professionalism that promotes a feeling of cooperation between the department and the community we serve
- Ensures that all departmental Goals, Objectives and Standard Operating Procedures are followed
- Actively supports the teaching and learning process; practicing honesty and integrity in and out of the classroom; strive to create and support a student-centered environment while fostering academic innovation and excellence
- Works actively with other areas of the college to ensure a spirit of college wide collaboration, collegiality, civility, and teamwork. Respect the function of dissent in an academic institution while advancing a collegial atmosphere of campus collaboration.
- Embraces the ideals of diversity and inclusiveness and support the equal rights of all people by advancing the understanding and appreciation of differences including age, race, gender, ability, religious convictions, socio-economic status, ethnic heritage, or sexual orientation
- Provides flexible, responsive and high quality service to all, be they students, community, or staff, and continuously assessing processes and procedures and revising accordingly
- Bachelor's degree
- Minimum of five years law enforcement experience, including a minimum of one year of progressively responsible supervisory experience in a law enforcement/public safety/security/emergency management position
- Eligibility as a Special State Police Officer under Ch. 22 Sect. 63
- Knowledge of state and federal laws pertaining to crime, safety and fire codes
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills
- Business computer skills to include Microsoft office suite- working knowledge in the use of Report Executive, Records Management program
- Must be able to read, write, speak and comprehend moderately complex oral and written instructions in English
- Must possess strong reading, writing, mathematical and analytical skills
- Successfully completed a Fulltime Municipal Academy, SSPO Academy or Equivalent and demonstrate a progressive training record
- Must have and maintain a current Massachusetts driver's license
- Must possess a current License to Carry (LTC) from the appropriate city or town
- Master's degree law enforcement in emergency management or criminal justice field
- Certification in ICS 100 and 200 as well as NIMS 700
- Experience in an Institution of Higher Education
- Strong knowledge of the Student Right to Know Act (Jeanne Clery Act)
Bunker Hill Community College is a multi-campus institution with vibrant, urban campuses in Boston, Massachusetts, in nearby Chelsea, Massachusetts, and at three satellite locations in the Greater Boston area. Recently re-certified as a Leader College by Achieving the Dream, BHCC is part of the Massachusetts public higher education system, which includes 15 community colleges. Founded in 1973, BHCC is the largest community college in Massachusetts, serving more than 14,000 students each semester across all modes of instruction. The College offers more than 100 certificate and degree programs that prepare students to enter four-year institutions or to enter the workforce prepared for better and more highly skilled jobs. Sixty-seven percent of students are people of color and more than 50 percent are women.
We are looking for individuals aligned with our institutional values of access and success, excellence and innovation, economic and social justice, inclusiveness and equity, civic engagement and service, kindness and respect, and accountability and transparency. Individuals with a dedication to a dynamic educational environment, investment in the social and economic well-being of all, and belief in student-centered learning in an engaging, supportive environment are sought to fill the following position.
Salary Range: $68,000.00-$72,000.00
Effective Date: To Ensure Consideration, Application Materials Must Be Received By April 23, 2015.
Application Procedures Submit Cover Letter and Resume Addressing the Required Qualifications to: www.BHCC.mass.edu/Employment. All internal applicants should be aware that their application for this vacancy constitutes permission for review of their personnel file. Successful applicants will be required to complete a Criminal Offender Record Information (CORI/SORI) request. Bilingual persons are encouraged to apply. Bunker Hill Community College is an equal opportunity affirmative action college supporting diversity.