Detailed Job Description
Responsible for providing advanced and complex clerical, secretarial, and general support to management. Exercises initiative, independent judgment and discretion in carrying out assignments.
Essential Job Functions
1. Supports management in clerical activities and administrative decisions. Performs office management functions and coordination. Acts as liaison between management and staff in the department.
2. Assembles data and prepares reports on a routine or non-routine basis.
3. Researches and provides information on issues affecting students, staff and/or the department.
4. Opens, organizes, and screens mail.
5. Composes and prepares routine and non-routine correspondence for supervisor's signature.
6. Answers telephone, screens and refers calls, takes messages.
7. Maintains calendar and makes travel arrangements.
8. Prepares, schedules and reserves rooms for meetings as directed.
9. Establishes filing systems and maintains current files for the department, including files for internal and external correspondence.
10. Maintains departmental budget reports and related documentation. Utilizes purchasing card and prepares requisitions for supplies and materials.
11. Operates and conducts training on standard office equipment as needed to perform tasks.
12. Plans, researches, initiates, and carries out to completion recurring or special assignments.
13. Takes minutes of meetings, prepares confidential documents and follows up to ensure timely reply and action.
14. Maintains control on action documents and follows up to ensure timely reply and action.
15. Accesses, inputs, and retrieves information from a computer and College databases.
16. Establishes and maintains excellent working relationships with individuals at all levels within the college and the community.
17. Performs other duties as assigned.
1. High school diploma or equivalent.
2. Advanced secretarial training.
3. Progressively responsible experience involving staff assistance and advanced clerical/secretarial work which demonstrates ability to work without close supervision.
4. A demonstrated commitment to diversity.
5. Must be able to perform all of the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation.
Knowledge Skills Abilities
1. Knowledge of basic office practices.
2. Skill in the use of personal computers, general office software, typewriters, and office machines.
2. Ability to take minutes of meetings.
3. Ability to accurately prepare and edit a variety of documents, including reports and spreadsheets.
4. Ability to communicate clearly and effectively, both orally and in writing.
5. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees and the public.
6. Ability to organize work, prioritize changing needs, follow through on multiple projects, and make decisions within time constraints.
7. Ability to maintain departmental budget reports and documentation.
8. Ability to work effectively in a diverse community and meet the needs of diverse student populations.
$30,196 per year
Equal Employment and Preference-Eligibility
Valencia College provides equal opportunity for equal opportunity for employment and educational services to all individuals as it relates to admission to the College or to programs, any aid, benefit, or service to students or wages and other terms, conditions or privileges of employment, without regard to race, color, ethnicity, national origin, age, religion, disability, marital status, gender, sexual orientation, genetic information and any other factor prohibited under applicable federal, state, and local civil rights laws, rules and regulations.
Valencia College extends preference in employment for eligible veterans in accordance to Florida State Statute 295.07.
Please press the apply button in the task box on the right column of this page to proceed and be redirected to the position announcement for this position on Valencia College’s website.