Unfortunately, this job is expired as of 5/10/2015.
To continue in your search through the appropriate job categories, click either Administrative Staff, Higher Education Executives, Faculty, Post-Doc and Graduate Assistants, . You can also utilize "guess-free" keyword search tools with up to eight pre-defined criteria. Search for and Apply to academic postings directly from the site. Post your background either confidentially or overtly. Stand out and be discovered!
Biology Instructor (Emphasis: Human Anatomy)
San Jose/Evergreen Community College District
Posting Date: 03-26-2015
Closing Date: 05-10-2015
Posting Number: 0010538
Work Location: Evergreen Valley College
Division: Math, Science, and Engineering
Position status: Full-time
Academic Position Type: Faculty Full-Time Tenure Track Position
Academic Position Term: Regular 100% FTE 10-Months per year
Salary Range: $64,313 to $82,493 Entry Level Annual Salary (Academic Salary Schedule 2014-2015); Maximum Salary Potential $111,916. Note: Actual Salary placement is based on candidate's verified education and experience.
Benefits Available: Excellent benefits package which include cost of medical, dental, and vision for employee and qualified dependents, and life insurance and income protection for employee (Faculty/District collective bargaining agreement).
Employment Start Date: Fall 2015
This faculty position is a full-time 100% FTE position as a Biology Instructor with the assignment in the Division of Math, Science and Engineering located at Evergreen Valley College.
The position is to teach a full load of the biological science courses offered at the Evergreen Valley College. The teaching assignment will be in human anatomy, non-majors biology, and biology field courses as needed by the department. Additional teaching load may be composed of other biology course offerings as needed by the department.
Some workdays may be assigned outside of the ten-month academic
calendar. The assignment may include day, evening and weekend responsibilities.
This position is represented by the San Jose/Evergreen Federation of Teachers, AFT 6157.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Teach course assignments to include, but not limited to, pre-collegiate and transfer level as defined above.
2. Maintain currency and depth of knowledge in assigned area of responsibility.
3. Communicate subject matter clearly, correctly and effectively.
4. Adapt methodologies for students with special needs and different learning styles.
5. Teach students effectively.
6. Use methods and materials appropriate to the subject matter.
7. Use appropriate preparation and organizational skills in area of assignment.
8. Demonstrate commitment to professional development, for example, activities such as participation in professional conferences, workshops, seminars, membership in professional organizations, research projects, publishing academic work, participation in statewide committees or organizations, etc.
9. Participate in faculty responsibilities such as: course and curriculum development, committees, research and special projects as needed in the discipline/department or district.
10. Meet all professional responsibilities.
11. Work cooperatively within the college community with students, staff, faculty and administrators.
12. Foster a professional working environment.
13. Use effective communication skills.
14. Demonstrate sensitivity to diversity, a respect for differences and the dignity of others.
15. Maintain and provide current course syllabi as required by California Education Code and Board policy.
16. Attend and participate in department, division and college meetings, within the work week, but not in conflict with the member's primary
17. Meet record keeping obligations on time, e.g., grades, census, reports, rosters, textbook orders, and requisitions.
18. Submit and maintain appropriate office hours.
Job duties specific to the position also include:
Teach a 100% load in the field of Biology. The teaching assignment will be in human anatomy, non-majors biology, biology field and other biology courses to fit the needs of the department.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
1. Master's degree in any Biological Science OR Bachelor's degree in any Biological Science AND Master's degree in Biochemistry, Biophysics, or Marine Science
2. Demonstrated sensitivity, knowledge, and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, gender, gender identification, cultural, disability, and ethnic backgrounds of the students we serve; and sensitivity to and knowledge and understanding of groups historically underrepresented, and groups who may have experienced discrimination.
3. Success integrating diversity as appropriate into the major duties outlined in the job description and in the duties listed in the District's hiring policy; or demonstrated equivalent transferable skills to do so.
1. Ph.D. in Biological Sciences
2. Excellent academic background in biological sciences with demonstrated experience in college level teaching.
3. Biological research, work or grant experience.
4. Successful course curriculum development experience and commitment to working with colleagues from other disciplines using interdisciplinary strategies to develop courses and programs to enhance student learning.
5. A commitment to share in departmental duties such as program review, curriculum development, screening committees, etc.
6. Ability to craft and assess student learning outcomes.
7. Commitment to serve the campus community.
8. Bilingual preferred.
Job Category: Faculty and other instructional staff
*Equivalency: Applicants (including current or former employees) applying under equivalency bear the full responsibility of submitting by the closing date the District's Equivalency Application in addition to the Faculty Position Application with details and evidence of the factors (academic preparation and/or experience) they believe to be equivalent of the required qualifications for this positions.
Application(s) for equivalency are required for any of the following reasons:
1. degrees are not in exact discipline required;
2. degree is in progress;
3. degrees were earned at a college/university not accredited by an accrediting body recognized by the U. S. Council on Post-Secondary Accreditation and/or the U. S. Department of Education; and/or
4. degrees were earned at a college/university outside of the U.S.
Candidates with foreign degrees must provide official certification of equivalency to U. S. degrees by a certified U. S. credential review service. Simple translation of the language on foreign diplomas, transcripts, coursework, or similar will NOT suffice; thus will cause the application packet to be judged as incomplete.
More equivalency information, along with the form, can be obtained at http://www.sjeccd.edu/HumanResources/Documents/Equivalency%20Application
Application Procedures, Notes and Contact Information
Interested applicants (including external applicants, current or former employees) MUST SUBMIT ONLINE ALL of the following materials by the closing date to be considered for the position (Posting at: http://apptrkr.com/598731. MUST click "Apply for this Posting" to apply):
1. A completed online San Jose/Evergreen Community College District FACULTY POSITION APPLICATION
2. COVER LETTER
(Must state how you meet ALL the minimum qualifications in EDUCATION and EXPERIENCE as described in the job announcement Minimum Qualifications section. Also, state how you meet other qualifications)
4. TRANSCRIPT(S) (unofficial or official copies) for stated degrees having the DEGREE CONFER/AWARD dates. Official transcripts will be required prior to employment start date should the position be offered.
5. District Application for Equivalency, if applicable, and supporting documents. Current or former employees who were previously approved by the District colleges for equivalency MUST by the closing date submit proof of the dated District's written equivalency approval.
If you do not have an electronic version of the transcript, you can get it scanned at Office Max, Office Depot, Staples, etc.; then attach the electronic version of your transcript to this online application at the later part of the application process.
1. Only complete application materials will be considered (No exception for external applicants, current or former employees). Application materials must include: a. FACULTY POSITION APPLICATION, b. COVER LETTER, c. RESUME,
d. TRANSCRIPT(S) of degrees stated and/or required (The criminal history explanation if any will NOT be forwarded to the screening committee), and e. DISTRICT EQUIVALENCY APPLICATION with supporting documents, if applicable.
2. Incomplete application packet and/or documents received by Human Resources after the closing date will not be considered (No exception for employees or non-employees).
3. Applications not having all required minimum qualifications in education and experience as stated in the Minimum Qualifications section will not receive further considerations.
4. Letters of Recommendation are not required and will not be included in the application packet. Additional documents that are not requested may not be included.
5. DEGREES must have been awarded by a college or university ACCREDITED by an accrediting body recognized by the U.S. Council on Post-Secondary Accreditation and/or the U.S. Department of Education.
6. FOREIGN DEGREES: Candidates with DEGREES and CREDITS earned outside of the United States must provide official certification of equivalency to U. S. degrees by a certified U. S. credential review service, must have a U.S. evaluation (course by course of the transcripts) and must be submitted with the application. Simple translation of the language on foreign transcripts, coursework, or similar will NOT suffice; thus will cause the application packet to be judged as incomplete.
7. Upon hire the successful candidate must provide the required documents of identity and authorization to work and attest he/she is authorized to work in the United States.
8. Application materials become the property of the district and will not be returned or duplicated.
9. Travel expenses to attend the interview are the responsibility of the candidate.
10. Meeting the minimum qualifications DOES NOT assure an interview.
11. The District may re-advertise, delay, choose not to fill the position, or choose to fill more than one position.
For assistance, contact:
Office of Human Resources, Employment Services
40 S. Market Street, San Jose, CA 95113
Phone: (408) 270-6414 Fax: (408) 239-8818
Web site @ https://jobs.sjeccd.edu. or www.sjeccd.edu.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Human Resources/Employment Services, 40 S. Market Street, San Jose, CA 95113, (408) 270-6414.
Reasonable accommodations will be provided for applicants with disabilities who self-disclose.
You were inactive for over twenty minutes. To protect you, we have logged you out. Any unsaved data has been lost.