Detailed Job Description
Dean of Business Division/Career and Technical Education
Professional Non-Unit, 12-month Position
The Dean provides strategic leadership and direction for the Business Division/ Career and Technical Education. Departments/Programs include:); Business Pathway (Business, Digital Graphic Design, Office Administration, and Paralegal); Agriculture & Food Service Pathway (Culinary Arts, Food Science & Safety, Environmental Horticulture, Nutritional Science & Dietary Technology, Tourism & Hospitality) Personal Service Careers Pathway (Aesthetics and Cosmetology).DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Supervises curriculum and program development, including designating future academic directions for Division, recruiting new and existing faculty/staff to develop/revise courses and/or programs of study consistent with the academic direction of Division.
- Develops schedule of day, evening, and weekend credit and non-credit courses (Master Schedules).
- Administers collective bargaining agreements including workload assignment; evaluation; re-appointment/non-reappointment, promotion, sabbatical, tenure, dismissal and discipline.
- Oversees activities associated with internal and external program review, including program assessment; Department of Higher Education Performance Accountability Objectives and Indicators.
- Directs, coordinates, encourages, and supports professional development activities for faculty and staff.
- Respond to student inquiries, concerns, and problems; applies relevant policies, procedures, and practices to find appropriate resolution to student complaints, grievances, and grade appeals.
- Oversees Divisional budget and expenditures; develops grant proposals and manages/coordinates funded activities.
- Manages implementation of Strategic Plan and Master Academic Plan activities; reviews and interprets career/market data, job availability, survey results, graduate placements, and other pertinent data to develop goals/ objectives/ direction for the Division.
- Fosters diversity and collegiality within the Division and College, supports a learner-centered environment and manages change to achieve a climate of openness, trust, and adaptability.
- Works with the Assistant Dean of Strategic Partnerships to advance concurrent enrollment, dual enrollment and articulation agreements to expand early college partnerships with local school districts. Collaborate with other academic deans and College personnel to implement CommUniverCity's academic pathways to expand transferability of credit.
- Oversees the program technical advisory boards for all programs within academic portfolio. Foster relationships with business and industry to ensure academic programmatic alignment with the labor market needs.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Minimum of an earned Master's Degree from an accredited college/university, Doctorate desired.
- Minimum of 5 years academic administration experience at the department chair level or above or the equivalent years of vocational/ technical educational administrative experience.
- Successful teaching experience in higher education, preferably in a community college.
- Demonstrated record of high quality leadership and administration in higher education.
- Demonstrated experience in promoting/establishing relationships with community and national agencies.
- Demonstrated expertise in curriculum development with a knowledge of outcomes assessment to guide curricular innovation and improvement.
- Demonstrated appreciation for the use of innovative technologies in instruction and learning.
- Demonstrated effectiveness in communication and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated ability to be a team contributor.
- Successful experience interacting with culturally diverse populations.
- Experience with management in a collective bargaining environment preferred.
- Knowledge of and commitment to the mission of the comprehensive community college.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED: Vice President of Academic Affairs
SUPERVISION EXERCISED: Full and part-time faculty, professional staff, classified staff, consultants, and other individuals assigned to the Division
SALARY: Commensurate with education and experience.
STARTING DATE: June 2015