Detailed Job Description
PART-TIME, ASSOCIATE FACULTY POOL
Applications for Part-Time, Associate Faculty pools are continually accepted (unless otherwise specified) by the District and will be added to the application pool for review by hiring authorities on an as-needed basis. Should you be invited for an interview, you will be contacted by a District representative.
The Music department is seeking qualified instructors to teach individual lessons on one of the following instruments: flute, oboe, english horn, bassoon, trumpet, trombone, french horn, tuba, violin, viola, cello, bass, percussion, guitar, or piano.
This position is a part-time position as an Associate Instructor in Applied Music. The teaching assignment may require teaching lecture-discussion courses during day, evening or on Saturday and/or in an on-line/distance education format. The assignments are as needed, during Spring, Summer, and/or Fall semesters. This position is represented by the Association of College Educators (ACE).
Work location: Mission College, Santa Clara, CA
1. Education – Possess one of the following:
- Master’s degree in music; OR
- Bachelor’s degree in music AND master’s degree in humanities; OR
- A valid California Community College Instructor’s Credential in Music; OR
- The equivalent of the above.
2. Demonstrated ability to effectively teach, counsel or work with persons of diverse socioeconomic, cultural, disability and ethnic backgrounds.
- Currently, active involvement in music performance.
- Experience organizing performance recitals for students.
- A minimum of 10 years performing experience on their given instrument.
- A minimum of 5 years teaching experience on their given instrument.
Examples of Duties and Responsibilities
Instructional duties and assignments may consist of one or more of the following:
- Provide instruction for assigned courses. This includes preparation for in-class or on-line/distance education activities, evaluation of students’ work, consultation with students outside of class and/or on-line, maintenance of currency in the subjects taught.
- Maintain accurate class and other records required by the college.
- Submit, when due, attendance rosters and grade reports.
- Follow course outlines as filed in the instruction offices.
- Maintain office hours each week, at .5 hours per week per section.
- Observe, support and enforce the regulations, policies and programs of the District and college.
- Provide each student with a written course syllabus at the beginning of the course, as per instructions in the Faculty Handbook.
- Refer students to appropriate college sources for information on counseling and other student services.
- Assist students by providing advice on requirements for successful achievement in the members’ area of expertise.
- Work cooperatively within the college community.
- Foster an environment that protects academic freedom within the college community.
- Foster a positive working environment that is free from harassment, prejudice and/or bias.
- Demonstrate a respect for the dignity of each individual.
Salary and Benefits
Salary is based on a percentage of workload, up to a maximum of 67% of a full-time load. Salary is prorated based on an initial hiring salary range of $18,548-$22,029 per semester; and is based on academic achievement, teaching and related experience.
- Interested applicants must submit online all materials requested, including: (1) A completed online West Valley-Mission Community College District application; (2) Resume; (3) Unofficial copies of transcripts; (4) District Equivalency Application, if applicable; and (5) Any requested licenses or certificates, if applicable.
- All sections of the online application, including Education and Educational Work History, must be completed thoroughly.
- Supervisor(s) name(s) and telephone numbers must be included in the application.
- Incomplete applications will not be considered.
- Do NOT send unrequested materials. Unrequested materials will not be used for consideration of employment.
- The employment application and supporting documents represent you; it is to your advantage to fill out the application form carefully and completely.
- If a minimum requirement is possession of a degree, then a copy of transcripts is required to be included with your application to verify the degree being awarded. If no transcripts are included, the application may be screened as not meeting minimum requirements.
- Degrees must have been awarded by a college or university accredited by an accrediting body recognized by the U.S. Council on Post-Secondary Accreditation and/or the U.S. Department of Education.
- Candidates with degrees earned outside of the United States must provide official certification of equivalency to U. S. degrees by a certified U. S. credential review service, must have a U.S. evaluation (course by course of the transcripts) and must be submitted with this online application.
- If you do not have an electronic version of the transcript, you can get it scanned at an office supply or copy store, then attach the electronic version of your transcript to this online application.
- Copies of diplomas, grade reports, graduation petitions, transcript evaluations requests, or similar documents WILL NOT be accepted in lieu of transcripts.
Applicants applying under equivalency bear the responsibility of submitting the District’s Equivalency Application form with details and evidence of the factors (academic preparation and/or experience) that they believe to be equivalent of the required qualifications for this position. Application(s) for equivalency are required if degrees are not in exact discipline required.
The Equivalency Application is included in the online application as an OPTIONAL form to complete.
- ONLY complete the Request for Equivalency application if degree does not match discipline(s) stated in the Minimum Qualifications.
- List accurately and completely the courses taken that match requirements of the required degree.
- Do NOT attach documents such as course evaluations.
For assistance, contact: West Valley-Mission Community College District is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Office of Human Resources, Attn: Recruitment
14000 Fruitvale Ave, Saratoga, CA 95070
Phone: (408) 741-2174 Fax: (408) 867-9059