Detailed Job Description
Performs student service in the financial aid process. Reviews electronic processing reports, makes decisions on program eligibility, and approves financial aid awards. Contacts students, agencies and technical staff to resolve application processing problems. Prepares reports and monitors business processes for accuracy. Provides assistance to Answer Center and Student Services staff with regard to financial aid regulations or decisions.
Essential Job Functions
1. Meets with students whose financial aid service needs require special attention and in-depth knowledge of financial aid regulations.
2. Reviews income tax returns, INS documents, Social Security Administration documents and other financial materials to determine accuracy of application and eligibility status.
3. Reviews financial aid applications and makes decisions about eligibility according to federal and state regulations and statues. Makes decisions about which financial aid programs the student will receive.
4. Approves student loans and electronically processes records to transmit to loan servicers.
5. Runs and processes reports from computer system to modify applications, award authorizations, and payment authorizations.
6. Makes decisions about problem resolution.
7. Accesses NSLDS/COD and other secure federal and state web sites.
8. Provides interpretations of regulatory requirements for Answer Center and other Student Services staff.
9. Reconciles reports of discrepant data and authorizes changes to financial aid records to resolve.
10. Serves on Standards of Satisfactory Academic Progress Appeals Committee.
11. Reviews prior college transcripts to determine initial academic standing regarding eligibility for financial aid.
12. Prepares federal and state reports and transmits electronically where required.
13. Other duties as assigned.
1. Bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited institution [preferred]. Work experience in a college financial aid office may substitute for a college degree.
2. Prior experience that demonstrates ability to follow complex instructions accurately.
3. A demonstrated commitment to diversity.
4. Must be able to perform all of the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation.
5. Acceptable speech (with/without correction aid).
Knowledge Skills Abilities
1. Strong interpersonal communication skills, both oral and written.
2. Ability to apply learning-centered concepts to the financial aid process.
3. Ability to reason and exercise judgment and discretion.
4. Ability to learn and understand federal and state regulations.
5. Must be granted security access to NSLDS, COD and other secure federal and state websites. (Cannot be in default on a prior student loan).
6. Works inside in an office environment.
7. Ability to work effectively in a diverse community and meet the needs of diverse student populations.
$36,010 per year
Equal Employment and Preference-Eligibility
Valencia College provides equal opportunity for equal opportunity for employment and educational services to all individuals as it relates to admission to the College or to programs, any aid, benefit, or service to students or wages and other terms, conditions or privileges of employment, without regard to race, color, ethnicity, national origin, age, religion, disability, marital status, gender, sexual orientation, genetic information and any other factor prohibited under applicable federal, state, and local civil rights laws, rules and regulations.
Valencia College extends preference in employment for eligible veterans in accordance to Florida State Statute 295.07.
Please press the apply button in the task box on the right column of this page to proceed and be redirected to the position announcement for this position on Valencia College’s website.