Detailed Job Description
The Director of Academic Assessment and Research provide expertise, support and leadership in overseeing and promoting the understanding, articulation, and documentation of academic assessment activities in the university and helping schools, departments, and faculty to strengthen a culture of assessment that facilitates achievement of student learning outcomes. The position reports to the Vice President for Academic Affairs.
Quinnipiac University is a thriving private university with 6,500 undergraduate and 2,500 graduate students, located in Hamden, Connecticut, approximately 90 minutes from New York City and two hours from Boston. Consistently ranked among the best universities by U.S. News & World Report and recently named one of the 2013 Great Colleges to Work For by The Chronicle of Higher Education, Quinnipiac offers 58 undergraduate majors and 20 graduate and professional programs, including those leading to degrees in both law and medicine. At the core of Quinnipiac is its commitment to teaching and collaboration. Quinnipiac fosters partnerships among students and with faculty; it is a spirited, welcoming campus.
- The ability to envision and provide leadership for an evolving and achievable University Assessment Plan.
- The ability to communicate effectively the evaluation and analysis of assessment activities and reports to non-expert audiences.
- The ability to be creative with both qualitative and quantitative data analysis and to draw linkages between them.
- Support Academic Affairs and the University’s schools in the assessment of the new University Curriculum and assess general learning proficiencies expected for all undergraduates.
- Conduct research and compile materials relevant to program reviews and keep abreast of current policy issues and trends regarding assessment, accountability and institutional effectiveness.
- Lead on-going efforts to improve assessment data gathering and reporting and the wider use of institutional assessment management and data tools to support institutional planning, evaluation, operations and decision-making.
- Participate in the selection and evaluation of the results of external surveys and studies such as NSSE, FSSE, and the SSI.
- Monitor the status of and provide assistance with the planning and coordination of accreditation reporting databases and reporting systems for each program area.
- Participate in the university’s responses to external data requests from government agencies and other associations, including but not limited to IPEDS, state and national surveys and accreditation and licensure requests.
- Assist academic programs and departments in devising assessment strategies and Collecting evidence of student learning for internal and external purposes.
- Support faculty in the design and execution of surveys and other evaluation instruments in support of ongoing and effectiveness evaluation projects.
Qualifications & Special Instructions to Applicants
- Masters degree required and Ph.D. preferred in an appropriate academic discipline with an emphasis on research design, sampling, statistical analysis and evaluation of institutional programs and initiatives.
- Three to five years experience in managing assessment operations preferably in a higher education environment
- Proficiency in the design, development, and implementation of projects, surveys, and studies in academic assessment, planning, research, and decision-making.
- Experience in supporting and coordinating the design, development, monitoring, and assessment of student learning and knowledge of accreditation processes, requirements, and trends.
- Knowledge of qualitative, quantitative, and mixed methods research methodologies, and database management and software applications related to research interpretation and analysis.
- Excellent written, oral, and interpersonal communication skills with the ability to translate complex data into clear and meaningful information for the university’s various constituencies as well as strong analytic and organizational skills and the ability to work collaboratively and independently, attend to multiple projects simultaneously, and meet deadlines
- Commitment to support and promote institutional values to provide high-quality academic programs, a student-oriented environment, and a strong sense of community
All applications must be submitted through our online application system. Applications materials should include a resume and a thoughtful cover letter describing your interest in, and qualifications for, the position. Contact information for three references must be submitted on the application form.
Quinnipiac University has a strong commitment to the principles and practices of diversity throughout the University community. We welcome candidates who would enhance that diversity. Quinnipiac offers a great work environment, challenging career opportunities, competitive compensation and a comprehensive benefit program.
Job Code: 2014-1567