Detailed Job Description
Position leads, manages, plans and organizes a warehouse and purchasing operation for a large customer base. Position is responsible for the safe and efficient warehouse operation, which inventories approximately 160,000 items valued at approximately $1 million. The operation currently manages a sales volume of over $3 million annually. Performs duties necessary to supervise and direct staff in receiving, storing, distributing, and inventorying supplies delivered to the campus; maintains inventory records; facilitates periodic inventories; performs normal supervisory functions. Evaluates the need to purchase products, sources parts and performs competitive pricing. Consult with department staff to make forecasts of material needed for future jobs. Reviews inventory and creates reports to track inventory turns, set min/max levels and determine the optimum inventory levels in order to reduce the cost of inventory kept in stock while providing just-in-time products to customers.
1. Leadership-Management-Relationships - provides guidance, support, prioritization and oversight for customer service personnel; enforces existing programs, policies and procedures that result in high levels of performance and effectiveness; keep superior informed; be responsive to directives from superiors; support the unit, department and institutional goals. Contributes significantly to LEAN continuous improvement initiatives within the department and across the University.
2. Customer Service Function - Supervises and directs warehouse operations in support of the Physical Facilities and other campus customers in an efficient and effective manner; supports customer goals and expectations to minimize downtime and interruptions in workflow caused from the lack parts and materials; prepare reports to measure efficiency and customer satisfaction; gather input from users and work with Director and other personnel to make necessary changes to ensure continuous improvement with regard to the department and services offered; establishes and maintains a positive and cooperative working relationship with members of the Department and campus community.
3. Daily Management - Maintain control and coordinate records on stock inventory and all items in storage using a computerized system. Supervise and perform warehousing activities such as receiving, processing, storing, disbursing, and distributing materials and supplies with a focus on customer needs and maximizing the effectiveness and value of the warehouse operation; supervise verification of goods and materials received with appropriate invoices and purchase orders; maintain control and coordinate records on stock inventory and all items in storage using a computerized system; inspects warehouse for proper stocking, cleanliness and adherence to safety standards. Work with Planner/Schedulers to ensure that part kitting and deliveries are being handled efficiently and effectively. Attend design/build meetings to ensure the products being used/recommended in new construction are consistent with the ones currently stocked/available.
4. Record Keeping Function - develops work practices that result in accurate and timely tracking of material transactions; maintain appropriate inventory controls and accounting procedures; supervise and perform annual physical inventory.
1. Specific Knowledge- knowledge of warehouse operations and inventory control procedures and understanding of standard business processes
2. Attention to Detail - ability to maintain detailed and complete records of warehouse activities
3. Communication Skills - ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing to a wide range of persons
4. Customer Service Skills - thorough understanding of modern customer service theories, practices and methods
5. Managerial Complexity - must be able to successfully handle multiple tasks at once, and be able to determine appropriate priorities; must be able to make independent interpretations and make appropriate decisions that are in the best interest of the organization and that are consistent with the objectives of the department
6. Computer Skills - must be proficient in the use of business application software, to include word processing, spreadsheet, and database programs
1. Education/Experience - bachelor's degree in business or related field and five years experience in a warehouse operation desired; or equivalent combination of education along with verifiable full-time management/supervisory experience.
2. Computer Skills - must be experienced in the use of a computerized maintenance-management software
3. Quality Control - knowledge of modern quality control methods and techniques
Special Instructions to Applicants
Employment will require a criminal background check according to University guidelines.