Unfortunately, this job is expired as of 3/7/2015.
To continue in your search through the appropriate job categories, click either Administrative Staff, Higher Education Executives, Faculty, Post-Doc and Graduate Assistants, . You can also utilize "guess-free" keyword search tools with up to eight pre-defined criteria. Search for and Apply to academic postings directly from the site. Post your background either confidentially or overtly. Stand out and be discovered!
Reporting to the Associate Dean for Special Collections, the Director of Research and Academic Programs develops and oversees research and academic programs such as undergraduate/graduate instruction and seminars as well as outreach to independent scholars, K-12, historical societies, and library and archival collections which support the study of American history.
Director of Research and Academic Programs
The A. S. Williams III Americana Collection
Division of Special Collections
The University of Alabama
The University of Alabama Libraries is seeking a highly motivated individual for the position of Director of Research and Academic Programs. Reporting to the Associate Dean for Special Collections, the Director of Research and Academic Programs develops and oversees research and academic programs such as undergraduate/graduate instruction and seminars as well as outreach to independent scholars, K-12 students, historical societies, and library and archival collections which support the study of American history.
Responsibilities: The Director of Research and Academic Programs leads the University Libraries’ development, implementation, and review of programs that promote the use and national reputation of the A. S. Williams III Americana Collection.
Specifically the Director of Research and Academic Programs will:
• Provide direction to undergraduate and graduate academic programs which rely on the Collection
• Promote awareness of the Collection through publications and news releases using traditional and social media outlets
• Represent the Collection at appropriate professional and scholarly meetings and conferences,
• Cultivate relationships and partnerships with scholars and peers on campus and at other institutions in order to promote use of the Collection
• Develop, oversee, and review partnerships with other organizations (including foundations, cultural institutions, and colleges and universities) to the extent their mission and goals relate to American history
• Lead and participate in developing grant proposals which advance the work of the Division of Special Collections
• Participate in special projects assigned by the associate dean or dean
• Ph.D. in American history
• Record of scholarly achievement in the form of publications, presentations and/or grant proposals
• Experience teaching at the college or university level
• Experience creating digital surrogates for the scholarly community as well as the general public
• Strong commitment to the advancement of scholarly inquiry
• Demonstrated commitment to providing proactive, quality service to known and potential users
• Successful record promoting and interpreting library and archival collections
• Ability to manage effectively competing priorities.
• Reading knowledge of Spanish, French, or German
• MLS, MLIS, or MIS
• Grant writing experience
• Three to five years’ experience managing materials in a major special collection or archive relating to American history
ENVIRONMENT: The University Libraries maintains membership in the Association of Research Libraries, SPARC, The Center for Research Libraries, the Coalition for Networked Information, Lyrasis, and the Network of Alabama Academic Libraries. The Libraries use Ex Libris’ Voyager Integrated Library System. The Libraries’ homepage may be accessed at http://www.lib.ua.edu.
SALARY/BENEFITS: This is a tenure track faculty position. Competitive salary. Excellent benefits. Moving allowance may be available.
TO APPLY: Applications are accepted online only at https://facultyjobs.ua.edu . Please include your application, resume, and names, addresses, phone numbers, and e-mail addresses of three references.
Open until filled.
THE UNIVERSITY OF ALABAMA IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER
Prior to hiring, the final candidate(s) must successfully pass a pre-employment background investigation. A prior conviction reported as a result of the background investigation DOES NOT automatically disqualify a candidate from consideration for this position. A candidate with a prior conviction will receive an individualized review of the prior conviction before a hiring decision is made. EOE/AA
The University of Alabama is an Equal Employment/Equal Educational Opportunity Institution. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status, and will not be discriminated against because of their protected status.
You were inactive for over twenty minutes. To protect you, we have logged you out. Any unsaved data has been lost.