Detailed Job Description
Utah Valley University's English as a Second Language (ESL) Program is seeking applications for one Resident Lecturer position (with benefits) starting August 2012. This position is a three-year annually renewable contract with the possibility of renewal for three additional years contingent upon satisfactory job performance and availability of funds. The position includes a teaching load of 15 credit hours a semester and expectations for departmental and university service. There is also a possibility of reassigned time for administrative assignments.
The successful applicants will join a growing Intensive English Program (IEP) with a core group of faculty committed to innovative, student-centered pedagogy at a dynamic and growing open-access university. Successful applicants will teach a diverse student population using a variety of instructional modes and acknowledged best practices in the discipline. Candidates with expertise or experience with curriculum, Computer Assisted Language Learning (CALL), assessment/testing, and cultural and community programming are particularly welcome.
The ESL Program supports the open-access University in its mission to provide students with opportunities to engage with real-life contexts and local and global communities, and to prepare students for success in their educational, professional, and personal goals. We welcome candidates who share these commitments to students from varied ethnic, racial, religious, and socio-economic backgrounds.
A Master's Degree in TESL, applied linguistics, or other closely related degree from a regionally accredited institution is required. We encourage applicants with a recent MA or an earned doctorate in TESOL, linguistics, or a closely-related field to apply. Ideal candidates should also possess excellent communication skills, experience or expertise in teaching English as a foreign or second language in a higher education setting, and native-like English skills.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
1- Knowledge of subject matter and content of English as a Second Language and support courses.
2- Skill in instructional strategies and techniques of student management, motivation, and evaluation.
3- Skill in curriculum and course development and evaluation.
4- Engage in innovative, student-centered pedagogy.
5- Interpersonal problem solving , decision-making, and supervisory skills.
6- Participate in departmental and campus service.
7- Ability to communicate effectively in English, orally and in writing.
Selective Placement Factors
1- Applicants may be subject to a background check.
2- Position is open to those who have earned a masters degree in TESL, applied linguistics with an emphasis in teaching English as a Second Language, or a closely-related field.
3- Position is also open to those who have earned a doctorate degree in TESL, applied linguistics with an emphasis in teaching English as a Second Language, or a closely-related field.
Special Instructions to Applicants
- To be considered an applicant for employment you must apply online through the UVU.Jobs website.
- To receive full consideration for post-secondary education, please submit copies of transcripts or diploma of highest degree earned. Transcripts do not have to be official copies.
- To be considered in the first screening, the online application and required application documents (see below) must be submitted by the screening or closing date.
- Our system can only accept supplemental documents (such as cover letters or transcripts) in PDF or Word format. The file size of documents must be less than 2MB. It is strongly recommended that you take documents that are not in an electronic form and scan them into a separate black and white PDF file so you can attach them electronically to the online application. You can get help with this at a local copy center if needed.
- Any offer of employment will be contingent upon the results of a background check, which includes a criminal records check. A criminal conviction is not necessarily a bar to employment.
- Application materials become the property of UVU.
- For questions contact Human Resources at HREmployment@uvu.edu.