Detailed Job Description
Directs the administration and management of all operational and programming aspects of the Outdoor Pursuit Center including: domestic and international adventure trips, academic courses, instructional workshops, marketing, team building, first-year Living Learning Community, second-year Living Learning Community, rental/retail operations and climbing center operations and programs. Also serves to provide program staff management and supervision of special events as needed. The work schedule for this position may include early mornings, evening hours and weekends.
- Performs duties with limited supervision and is responsible for making significant independent decisions
- Provides supervision of the Recreational Sports Center and equipment safety checks to ensure the health and well-being of patrons
- Hiring, training, supervision and evaluation of the OPC Center staff
- Supervises the development and administration of all programs and services provided by the Outdoor Pursuit Center.
- Directs the development of all OPC strategic plans, goals and objectives, and program assessments.
- Directs the development and administration of annual Outdoor Pursuit Center budgets.
- Directs the domestic and international trip program.
- Instructs various EDL and KNH courses.
- Supervises the OPC Program Administrative staff in the management of the Climbing Center, Living Learning Communities, Rental, Retail and Team Building program operations.
- Responsible for effective management and appropriate reporting of all accidents and incidents that occur in the program areas, events, or activities of direct responsibility. Informs the Senior Director immediately about accidents and summarizes all accidents, incidents, close calls and outcomes on a semester basis.
- Recruits, hires, trains, supervises, and evaluates Outdoor Pursuit Center full-time staff, part-time instructors, staff, interns, and graduate assistants.
- Responsible for accurate recording of payroll for all Outdoor Pursuit Center staff.
- Directly responsible for the purchasing, maintenance, and control of Outdoor Pursuit Center facilities, vehicles, equipment, and supply inventories.
- Advises and assists the Assistant Director in the administration and implementation of all corporate Team Building and Climbing Center programs.
- Provides the RSC Senior Directors with semester and annual reports on Outdoor Pursuit Center participation, activities, incomes, and expenses, and evaluates program data to provide documented justification for all program proposals.
- Assists the RSC Senior Directors in authoring and updating all OPC program manuals.
- Responsible for evaluating program operations to improve cost effectiveness and studying market trends and related pricing structures.
- Works as the marketing liaison to coordinate and oversee all Outdoor Pursuit Center program publicity and public relations efforts.
- Provides orientation, direction and evaluation for academic class projects for individual and student groups
- Assists with developing lesson plans, exams, lectures and other course materials for EDL, HON & KNH courses.
- Assists with planning, coordinating and leading weekend field experiences for EDL, HON & KNH courses.
- Provides program administrative staff coverage for the Recreational Sports Center potentially including opening and closing shifts, and event coverage.
- Assists the Senior Directors in other programs and activities as assigned.
- Establish working relationships with individuals, agencies and groups as necessary and appropriate, or as assigned.
- Represents Miami University and the Recreational Sports Center in appropriate professional organizations.
- Completes other duties as assigned.
- Direct and functional supervision of 2-3 full-time employees
- Bachelor's degree and 4+ years of experience in a recreational outdoor pursuit center setting
- Current CPR and First Aid certification
- Experience in outdoor recreation programming area supervising and training full-time, part-time, and student employees
- Experience in budget maintenance
- Current Wilderness First Responder certification
- Experience driving 12-passenger vans with a trailer
Special Instructions to Applicants
The work schedule for this position may include early mornings, evening hours and weekends.
Employment will require a criminal background check according to University guidelines.