Detailed Job Description
As a front-end, applications, or devops developer, this position serves a member of the Web and Portal Services team collectively responsible for development and maintenance of mobile applications, the college's websites, content management systems, web applications and portal, including structure, standards and content. This position will be responsible for various aspects of software engineering, including design, application development, application management and development based operations.
Essential Job Functions
1. Follow project management principles, including agile project management principles
2. Participate in planning of software projects, and tracking of software issues
3. Participate in change management processes
4. Code, test and support working code
5. Ability to configure systems, and applications to meet user and software requirements
6. Awareness of industry standards and industry shifts in software engineering
7. Maintains, supports, and updates code, ensuring all technologies used, and all code developed is maintained in line with industry support and updates
8. Track code development and changes in a source control repository or repositories as determined by organization
9. Analyze code, applications and data using a variety of application monitoring and logging tools
10. Continuously updates job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities, reading professional publications, maintaining personal networks and participating in professional organizations
11. Serves as liaison to College offices, committees and Information Technology personnel as required.
12. Performs other duties as assigned.
1. Bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited institution in computer science, or computer engineering; or three to five years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience [required]
2. For front end development and support, experience in html and css, responsive design, user design principles, and user experience fundamentals.
Ability to work in content management system configurations, themeing.
4. Ability to do test driven development, using testing framework tools and browser automation tools like Cucumber and Selenium.
Experience with database technologies such as Oracle, MySQL, MS SQL
5. For Devops development and support, experience in operating systems and applications for devops and web development, such as Windows, UNIX, Linux, puppet, continuous integration applications, source control systems such as git and svn, web server applications such as apache or IIS.
6. Ability to programmatically automate tasks and do test driven development.
7. Experience programming in a variety of programming languages not limited to PHP, .NET, Python, Ruby and ability to pick up other languages as required by evolving technology needs.
8. Experience with database technologies such as Oracle, MySQL, MS SQL
9. For Sharepoint developers, experience with Sharepoint 2010 workflow and forms development. Experience using Sharepoint Designer and strong knowledge of Sharepoint administration.
10. For all entry level positions, must possess the ability to rapidly learn and integrate knowledge.
11. Must be able to perform all of the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation.
1. For application developers and front end developers, mobile application development programming is preferred
2. Experience working with and developing for content management systems such as WordPress and Drupal
3. Experience with application programming interfaces (APIs) and web services development
4. For Sharepoint developers: Sharepoint 2013 experience, developing themes, sites, workflows.
Knowledge Skills Abilities
1. Source control such as git or svn
2. MVC frameworks
3. For applications developer: Java, PHP, MySQL, Oracle, MS SQL, working with SDKs
4. For front end developer: responsive design, CSS, HTML, PHP
5. For Devops, Ruby, PHP, MySQL
6. Ability to interface with clients
7. Ability to learn new product sets, tools, programming languages
8. Ability to translate user requirements to clean and compact code
9. Ability to document code and follow code standards
10. Federal accessibility standards (508) and W3C code validation
11. Work is performed in a typical computing environment, requiring walking, standing, lifting and bending for brief periods may be necessary. Irregular hours may be a regular requirement for this position in order to provide 24 hour on-call support for mission critical systems.
12. A demonstrated commitment to diversity.
Equal Employment and Preference-Eligibility
Valencia College provides equal opportunity for equal opportunity for employment and educational services to all individuals as it relates to admission to the College or to programs, any aid, benefit, or service to students or wages and other terms, conditions or privileges of employment, without regard to race, color, ethnicity, national origin, age, religion, disability, marital status, gender, sexual orientation, genetic information and any other factor prohibited under applicable federal, state, and local civil rights laws, rules and regulations.
Valencia College extends preference in employment for eligible veterans in accordance to Florida State Statute 295.07.
Please press the apply button in the task box on the right column of this page to proceed and be redirected to the position announcement for this position on Valencia College’s website.