Detailed Job Description
Serves as an instructor and student advisor for Valencia's New Student Experience (NSE). Creates a supportive environment for student success and encourages the growth of a learning community through the development of various student engagement opportunities. Helps to ensure a successful college transition and encouragement of student persistence by developing on-going advising relationships.
Responsible for teaching the NSE course by planning, organizing, teaching, and providing feedback to promote and direct student learning in keeping with Valencia's learning centered values, and in a manner that meets the essential competencies of a Valencia educator. Engages students outside of class in support of the curriculum and co-curriculum and participates in NSE, campus, and college activities.
There are multiple positions available on East Campus, West Campus, and Osceola Campus
Essential Job Functions
1. Prepares and delivers instruction to students in the New Student Experience course, in assigned modalities (including classroom, hybrid, online, etc.). Prepares instructional materials. Provides feedback on students' progress, including evaluation of student mastery of course and program outcomes.
2. Supports the development and engagement of new students by creating and maintaining varied opportunities for student interaction, including structured and informal: advising; co-curricular; student support; and out-reach activities. Promotes a learning community environment.
3. Collaborates with other faculty, deans and staff to help ensure a coordinated, supportive new student experience, including related student services and curriculum.
4. Conducts new student orientations and provides follow up support to complete enrollment, as needed, to prospective students.
5. Advises students on matters related to student life skills development and academic preparation. Develops related seminars and group learning opportunities.
6. Partners with counselors and advisors to support students' academic and career planning.
7. Maintains and disseminates current information pertaining to services and resources available to students throughout the college.
8. Prepares and submits required documentation including course syllabi, student attendance, final course grades, and other information as requested or required by the college.
9. Is familiar with and maintains behavior and actions consistent with college policies.
10. Maintains professional development/growth according to personal needs, in fulfillment of annual performance plans, and as required for certification.
11. Performs other duties as assigned.
1. Appropriate level of education [required] See Credentials Procedures Manual at: http://valenciacollege.edu/faculty/forms/credentials/
2. Teaching experience at the community college level (in some cases, related work experiences in the field, professional licensure and certifications, honors and awards, continuous documented excellence in teaching, or other demonstrated competencies and achievements that contribute to effective teaching and student learning outcomes may be used to support an application in lieu of degree and course work requirements).
3. Professional commitment to education.
4. Experience with developmental advising preferred.
5. A demonstrated commitment to diversity.
6. Ability to perform all of the Essential Functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation.
7. Ability to work evening and/or weekend hours and travel between campus locations as required.
Knowledge Skills Abilities
1. Knowledge and understanding of learning-centered values.
2. Knowledge of strategies and methodologies related to academic advising, career advising, student development and curriculum development.
3. Ability to design learning opportunities that promote student life skills development while enhancing discipline learning. Demonstrated understanding of developmental advising (Valencia's LifeMap) and competency-based learning (LifeMap).
4. Ability to develop and implement diverse teaching and learning strategies that accommodate the learning styles of students and that promote both acquisition and applications of knowledge and understanding (Learning Centered Teaching Strategies).
5. Ability to use consistent, timely formative and summative assessment measures to enhance learning (Assessment).
6. Ability to design learning opportunities that acknowledge, draw upon and are enriched by student diversity in the learning environment (Inclusion and Diversity).
7. Ability to design and implement curriculum that aligns elements of student learning toward growth in the Student Core Competencies and progression through course sequences (Outcomes-Based Practice).
8. Commitment to stay current and continually improve knowledge and understanding of the discipline (Professional Commitment).
9. Ability to continuously examine the effectiveness of teaching, counseling, librarianship and assessment methodologies in terms of student learning by engaging in the scholarship of teaching and learning (Scholarship of Teaching and Learning).
10. Ability to assess student's developmental needs, translate theory into practice and develop durative advising relationships with students.
11. Ability to independently initiate, develop, and implement out-reach programs.
12. Knowledge of, ability to develop, and commitment to use emerging technologies and alternative delivery methods appropriately, including online delivery, hybrid course options, content software, web-enhancements, etc.
13. Skill in the use of personal computers and general office software.
14. Ability to effectively communicate interpersonally (in group and one-on-one settings), orally, and in writing.
Equal Employment and Preference-Eligibility
Valencia College provides equal opportunity for equal opportunity for employment and educational services to all individuals as it relates to admission to the College or to programs, any aid, benefit, or service to students or wages and other terms, conditions or privileges of employment, without regard to race, color, ethnicity, national origin, age, religion, disability, marital status, gender, sexual orientation, genetic information and any other factor prohibited under applicable federal, state, and local civil rights laws, rules and regulations.
Valencia College extends preference in employment for eligible veterans in accordance to Florida State Statute 295.07.
Please press the apply button in the task box on the right column of this page to proceed and be redirected to the position announcement for this position on Valencia College’s website.