Detailed Job Description
Responsible technical work in the coordination, field administration, and supervision of college-wide renovation/remodeling projects, including the procurement of vendors, services and materials.
Essential Job Functions
1. Assists in the development of working drawings and specifications for college-wide projects.
2. Reviews and recommends approval of finished project contract documents for accuracy and completeness. Collects and reviews," As Built", drawings for completed projects and confirms accuracy.
3. Develops material, labor, and total cost estimates for proposed projects. Compares estimates to Contractor's proposed estimates. Negotiates with contractor, if needed, to reach fair market price.
4. Solicits and procures proposals for work and material to be incorporated in projects.
5. Coordinates, schedules, and oversees labor and material to be incorporated in a project and ensures that the work conforms to that specified in the project documents.
6. Reviews and approves payment for work and material incorporated in a project.
7. Inspects work and develops "punch lists" for contractors and subs. Coordinates speedy completion of punch list and confirms compliance with construction drawings.
8. Assists with and coordinates the relocation of college personnel into new spaces after construction is complete. Coordinates with College Personnel to schedule new projects.
9. Assists in the maintenance of the institution's facility inventory system.
10. Inspects college-wide facilities and establishes and prioritizes projects.
11. Coordinates and follows up with Permitting and Inspection Agencies to confirm compliance.
12. Establishes recycling plan for all projects.
13. Reviews material lists and value engineers for each project as needed within College standards.
14. Performs other duties as assigned.
1. Associate's degree [preferred] in a related field, with courses in drafting, architecture and/or building construction.
2. Experience in construction techniques, building service systems (electrical, mechanical, plumbing, communications, etc.) and contract documents.
3. Experience in mechanical drawing/drafting.
4. Experience in working with Plant Operations personnel to complete projects.
5. The College anticipates that the person filling this position will need to be available throughout the workday and, on some occasions, after regular work hours. Therefore, as a condition of employment, the incumbent is expected to be available by cell phone and is required to provide their current cell phone number to the Human Resources Department and to their immediate supervisor.
6. A demonstrated commitment to diversity.
7. Must be able to perform all of the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accomodation.
Knowledge Skills Abilities
1. Knowledge of college and department policies and procedures.
2. Knowledge of construction methods, materials, and cost.
3. Skill in the use of personal computers and general office software.
4. Skill in effectively communicating, orally and in writing.
5. Ability to schedule and manage multiple projects, identify and address related needs, and make sound decisions.
6. Ability to work harmoniously with others.
7. Ability to work independently.
8. Ability to assist Plant Operations in completing projects as directed.
9. Ability to work during holidays and weekends to accomplish projects when the college is closed.
10. Ability to walk, lift and carry light objects (up to 15 pounds), bend, climb ladders and stand for long periods of time.
11. Ability to travel occasionally.
12. Ability to work effectively in a diverse community and meet the needs of diverse student populations.
$37,631 per year
Equal Employment and Preference-Eligibility
Valencia College provides equal opportunity for equal opportunity for employment and educational services to all individuals as it relates to admission to the College or to programs, any aid, benefit, or service to students or wages and other terms, conditions or privileges of employment, without regard to race, color, ethnicity, national origin, age, religion, disability, marital status, gender, sexual orientation, genetic information and any other factor prohibited under applicable federal, state, and local civil rights laws, rules and regulations.
Valencia College extends preference in employment for eligible veterans in accordance to Florida State Statute 295.07.
Please press the apply button in the task box on the right column of this page to proceed and be redirected to the position announcement for this position on Valencia College’s website.