Detailed Job Description
Under the direction of the Assistant Director of Creative Services, performs solutions to a wide range of complex visual communication assignments. Including a wide variety of graphic applications requiring innovative and creative capabilities. Works from general design guidelines and principles utilizing extensive creative skill and judgment regarding composition, media selection, presentation impact and style definitions to communicate projects.
Essential Functions, Major Duties and/or Accountabilities:
1) Responsible for conceptualization and design of graphic applications such as collateral material, environmental graphics, books and magazines, corporate identity, film titling and multimedia interfaces, from concept to completion.
2) Design and create printed and interactive materials for the college administration, departments, and programs.
3) Design and produce professional illustrations for use in
university publications. Work with freelance illustrators to
meet publication requirements.
4) Participate in the art production of the quarterly alumni magazine, UVU magazine.
Graduation from an accredited college or university with a bachelor's degree in graphic design and one year experience related to the summary of duties; OR an associates's degree and three years of experience; OR any combination of education and/or experience related to the summary of duties totaling 5 years.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
(1) Knowledge of graphic design and the creative process;
(2) Skills in computers and computer applications, including Illustrator, InDesign, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Flash, Final Cut Pro, etc.;
(3) Ability to design quality communication projects;
(4) Ability to produce professional illustrations by hand and on the computer;
(5) Knowledge of how to pre-press files and the printing process, including press-checks, paper and ink knowledge;
(6) Web design and light programming experience a plus;
(7) Knowledge of typography use and design;
(8) Ability to communicate effectively.
Special Instructions to Applicants
All applicants must submit an electronic portfolio of 8-10 pieces by e-mailing a link of a website or submitting a .pdf to Katri Haycock at email@example.com. These portfolios must be submitted before position closes or application will NOT be considered.
- To be considered an applicant for employment you must apply online through the UVU.Jobs website.
- To receive full consideration for post-secondary education, please submit copies of transcripts or diploma of highest degree earned. Transcripts do not have to be official copies.
- To be considered in the first screening, the online application and required application documents (see below) must be submitted by the screening or closing date.
- Our system can only accept supplemental documents (such as cover letters or transcripts) in PDF or Word format. The file size of documents must be less than 2MB. It is strongly recommended that you take documents that are not in an electronic form and scan them into a separate black and white PDF file so you can attach them electronically to the online application. You can get help with this at a local copy center if needed.
- Any offer of employment will be contingent upon the results of a background check, which includes a criminal records check. A criminal conviction is not necessarily a bar to employment.
- Application materials become the property of UVU.
- For questions contact Human Resources at HREmployment@uvu.edu.