Detailed Job Description
The Assistant Director of Development, Annual Giving will advance the mission of Miami University by planning, organizing, and implementing strategies to increase the level of personal engagement and financial commitment of alumni and friends. Particular emphasis will be given to securing philanthropic and volunteer support for the university's Annual Fund through the Direct Mail program.
- Directly manage Miami's direct mail program, including scheduling, segmentation, and creation of annual appeals. Track and analyze results, providing regular updates to the Director and others.
- Oversee Miami's online giving program by effectively promoting online giving options and updating all appropriate web pages. Track and analyze results, provide updates and benchmark with other institutions.
- In cooperation with Director, coordinate fund drives for special projects and school-specific programs. Identify segments of the alumni population who will be targeted for gifts. Develop and implement a strategy to effectively solicit for special funds created and supported by classes, clubs, and alumni groups. Strategy may include direct mail, electronic communications, events, and personal correspondence and personal visits. Manage and produce electronic and print communications as needed to steward fund donors.
- In cooperation with Director, coordinate the Sustaining Gift program. Identify segments of the alumni population who will be targeted for gifts. Develop and implement strategy to solicit for sustaining gifts. Strategy may include direct mail, electronic communications, events, and personal correspondence and personal visits. Manage and produce electronic and print communications as needed to steward fund donors.
- Work with University Advancement Communications staff to develop and maintain dynamic content on divisional webpages.
- Assist Director of Annual Giving with short- and long-range planning and strategy to achieve the University's goal of a 25% alumni participation rate and a $5 million Annual Fund.
- Participate in planning meetings, accepting special assignments, assisting colleagues and providing support for all ongoing programs and operations as needed.
- Serve as one of four departmental liaisons for Miami University in addressing their philanthropic and alumni relations objectives.
- Prepare and present departmental and division proposals to alumni and friends with the input and assistance of faculty, staff, administrators and deans. Proposals may include tax planning, gifts of real estate, personal property, securities and gifts in wills, trusts, annuities, and insurance.
- Develop and implement service, cultivation, and solicitation strategies for assigned prospects with the support of Advancement Services and Office of Development staff, faculty, and administrators.
- Identify, cultivate, solicit, and steward alumni and friends of Miami University for gifts in support of the programs and divisions of the university. Encourage and coordinate involvement of alumni and friends through campus visits and regional events.
Bachelor's degree; minimum one to three years of relevant experience such as fund raising or sales; an equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered; outstanding oral and written communication skills; commitment to a team-based environment; excellent organizational skills and attention to detail. Ability and willingness to travel extensively both on a regional and national level (Internships, volunteer work, and other experience gained during the completion of degree programs may be counted towards these requirements).
Fundraising experience in an educational setting; experience in Annual Giving, market segmentation, data analysis, or persuasive writing.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Employment will require a criminal background check according to University guidelines.