Detailed Job Description
The Facilities Department is seeking a talented individual to fill the part-time position of Program Assistant for the Measure C Bond Program. Under direction of the Fiscal Manager of Construction, or assigned administrator, perform a wide variety of specialized clerical duties in the management of Measure C Bond Program.
Comprised of two colleges, West Valley College and Mission College, we are located in the heart of Silicon Valley. Our staff and faculty are among the most qualified in the state and our students appreciate our two colleges for our friendly staff and supportive atmosphere.
Applicants who possess the knowledge, skills, and life experiences to address the cultural and educational needs of a culturally diverse student population are encouraged to apply.
64% of full time, 24 hours per week, 12 months per year, with anticipated start date of February 18, 2015. Schedule may change to include some evening or weekend hours, as needed. This position is a member of the West Valley-Mission Classified Employees Association (WVMCEA), Office, Technical & Business Services Employee Unit.
Work Location: Facilities Department, West Valley-Mission Community College District, located on the West Valley College campus, Saratoga, CA.
Any combination equivalent to:
1. Education – Graduation from high school including or supplemented by clerical training, including office practices and procedures;
2. Experience – Three years of increasingly responsible clerical experience involving public contact and microcomputer operation, including one year as sole clerical support in an office;
3. Demonstrated ability to effectively work with persons of diverse socioeconomic, cultural, disability, and ethnic backgrounds.
Examples of Duties and Responsibilities
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty of the position satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions required for the position.
- Review requests for information, appeal or action by electronic mail, mail, telephone or in person; determine appropriate course of action and respond appropriately; provide information and assistance to administrative, academic and support staff as appropriate.
- Provide clerical support to assigned function; distribute, explain, receive, review, process, enter, check, compile, verify, track, retrieve, maintain and file a variety of data, forms, applications, and records; process, prepare, issue and distribute information and material as required.
- Assist management in tracking and entering vendor documentation into the Facilities Department project management software system, EADOC, to ensure that all consultants and contractors are maintaining necessary records for all construction projects.
- Monitor budget balances and expenditures; prepare purchase requisitions as authorized.
- Prepare, maintain and distribute a variety of financial, statistical or narrative documents, specifications, records or reports related to assignment; assure appropriate or requested action by monitoring and following up as necessary.
- Operate a computer, mainframe computer terminal, multi–line telephone console, fax machine, copier, calculator and other office equipment related to assignment.
- Receive, open, sort, route and distribute mail and faxes; order, store and maintain office supplies; order forms and other items as required.
- Type correspondence, requisitions, memos, forms, reports and related material independently or from rough draft, copy, notes or oral instructions; format, proofread, edit, print, duplicate and distribute as appropriate.
- Coordinate the preparation and distribution of vendor invoices and purchase orders.
- Organize and maintain filing system for facilities capital projects.
- Review, check and process and variety of forms, invoices, purchase orders and other documents.
- Assist in researching information for financial reporting, and assisting in other areas of clerical duties as assigned.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
Knowledge and Abilities
- Modern office practices, procedures and equipment.
- Operation of computer equipment and various software programs including word processing, database management and spreadsheet computer applications software, internet and e-mail.
- Operation of office equipment, such as fax machine, copier and electronic telephone system.
- Correct English usage, spelling, grammar and vocabulary.
- Oral and written communication skills.
- Interpersonal skills including tact, patience and diplomacy.
- Telephone techniques and etiquette.
- Data entry techniques.
- Record keeping and filing methods.
- Learn specifics of assigned program quickly and accurately.
- Perform responsible and difficult clerical work with speed and accuracy.
- Learn, interpret apply and explain rules, laws, policies and procedures and apply them with good judgment in a variety of procedural situations.
- Receive, record, verify, process and document information.
- Process documents accurately and in a timely manner.
- Maintain accurate records and databases using computers and peripheral equipment.
- Carry out verbal and written directions independently.
- Establish and maintain effective and cooperative working relationships with others.
- Communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Analyze situations and adopt an effective course of action.
- Work effectively with frequent interruptions and stringent timelines.
- Apply and explain procedures and requirements for area of assignment.
- Collect, compile and analyze data.
- Make arithmetical calculations with speed and accuracy.
- Operate office equipment such as computer, computer terminal, printer, calculator, copier and fax machine.
- Use word processing, spreadsheet and data base management computer software effectively.
- Operate a keyboard at a speed of not less than 50 word per minute from clear copy.
- Take and transcribe dictation as required.
- Relate effectively to people of varied academic, cultural and socio–economic background using tact, diplomacy and courtesy.
- Work independently with minimum supervision.
Salary and Benefits
- Anticipated Hiring Range: $2,240–$2,434 monthly.
- Employer-contributed medical, dental and vision for employee and dependents, to include domestic partner (prorated for employees working less than 100% of full-time).
- Employer-paid long term disability for employee.
- Voluntary life insurance.
- 13 paid holidays, plus 1 floating holiday annually; paid non-workdays between Christmas and New Year.
- Up to 22 days vacation leave accrued annually (prorated for employees working less than 100% and 12 months).
- 12 days sick leave accrued annually (prorated for employees working less than 100% and 12 months).
- Personal necessity leave and personal business leave.
- Educational growth incentive program from $35 to $175 monthly.
- $500 longevity award annually after 15 years of service and $1,000 longevity award annually after 20 years of service.
- CalPERS retirement.
- Position is union affiliated with required dues.
- Interested applicants must submit online all materials requested, including: (1) A completed online West Valley-Mission Community College District application; (2) Resume; (3) Transcripts – (optional); (4) Cover letter and/or reference list, if requested; and (5) Any requested licenses or certificates, if applicable.
- All sections of the online application, including Education and Educational Work History, must be completed thoroughly.
- Supervisor(s) name(s) and telephone numbers must be included in the application.
- Incomplete applications will not be considered.
- Do NOT send unrequested materials. Unrequested materials will not be used for consideration of employment.
- The employment application and supporting documents represent you; it is to your advantage to fill out the application form carefully and completely.
- If a minimum requirement is possession of a degree, then a copy of transcripts is required to be included with your application to verify the degree being awarded. If no transcripts are included, the application may be screened as not meeting minimum requirements.
- Degrees must have been awarded by a college or university accredited by an accrediting body recognized by the U.S. Council on Post-Secondary Accreditation and/or the U.S. Department of Education.
- Candidates with degrees earned outside of the United States must provide official certification of equivalency to U. S. degrees by a certified U. S. credential review service, must have a U.S. evaluation (course by course of the transcripts) and must be submitted with this online application.
- If you do not have an electronic version of the transcript, you can get it scanned at an office supply or copy store; then attach the electronic version of your transcript to this online application.
- Copies of diplomas, grade reports, graduation petitions, transcript evaluations requests, or similar documents WILL NOT be accepted in lieu of transcripts.
For assistance, contact: West Valley-Mission Community College District is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Office of Human Resources, Attn: Recruitment
14000 Fruitvale Ave, Saratoga, CA 95070
Phone: (408) 741-2174 Fax: (408) 867-9059