Detailed Job Description
The Associate Director of Development/Assistant Athletic Director will advance the mission of Miami University by planning, organizing, and implementing strategies to increase the level of personal involvement and financial commitment of alumni and friends. Particular emphasis will be given to strategies of identifying, cultivating, soliciting and stewarding annual fund and major gifts, both current and deferred, to the Intercollegiate Athletics program.
- Serve as one of the departmental liaisons for Intercollegiate Athletics at Miami University in addressing their objectives, including department oversight in the absence of the Senior Director of Development.
- Manage a personal portfolio of major gift prospects (focusing on gift capacity of $50K+) to ensure that timely steps are taken toward identification, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship. Work independently and collaboratively on the development and implementation of a strategy for each prospect with other staff, faculty, administrators, coaches and alumni volunteers. Encourage and coordinate involvement of prospects, alumni, and friends through campus visits and regional events.
- Assist with annual fund (Red & White Club) operations to increase membership and revenues.
- Assist with the coordination of special events as appropriate.
- Assist in marketing and communication efforts of the athletic development office.
- Enhance communication with coaches and support staff of numerous sports by serving as the athletic development liaison.
- Engage young alumni and former student-athletes to participate in development efforts.
- Prepare and present departmental and division proposals to alumni and friends with the input and assistance of directors, staff, administrators, coaches and volunteers. Proposals may involve tax planning, gifts of real estate, personal property, securities, and gifts in wills, trusts, annuities, and insurance.
- Coordinate with the university development professionals on donor strategies and development initiatives with the support of Advancement Services, Office of Development staff and faculty and administrators, provide regular reports on progress and results of the prospect solicitation process, complete and file all contact reports in a timely manner.
- Perform other duties related to the mission of the Office of Development under guidance of the Senior Director of Development for Intercollegiate Athletics and the Vice President for University Advancement.
Bachelor's degree; minimum of three years of fund raising experience and athletic experience, or equivalent experience; requires regular attendance at evening and weekend events; experience in developing individual relationships and cultivation opportunities which have led to successful solicitations; outstanding oral and written communication skills, excellent organizational skills and attention to detail; willingness to travel extensively both on a regional and national level; and experience working with a donor database system.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Employment will require a criminal background check according to University guidelines.