Detailed Job Description
Under the administrative direction of the Director of Catering and Special Events, this position coordinates and oversees the daily operations of a multi-million catering and event operation with events both on and off campus.
- Supervises catering operations including such duties as booking events, preparing menus, costing out menus, pricing, coordination of staff and equipment rental when necessary.
- Performs all aspects of employee supervision of regular catering staff and bartenders. Supervises classified managers and staff and up to 100 student staff. Administers progressive discipline as required. Evaluates subordinate staff on an annual basis or as needed to ensure achievement of performance expectations.
- Approves payroll for classified and student staff and maintains relevant records.
- Plans, organizes, and manages a variety of special events, from set up to clean up, both on and offsite.
- Completes a weekly catering schedule ensuring adequate staff coverage to meet special event needs as well as monitoring labor costs.
- Ensures proper set up of events per the customer's request while maintaining an effective, efficient, and economical operation. Must offer the "right" level of customer service and professionalism.
- Timely process of accurate billing customer after events.
- Communicates daily with the event planners to obtain necessary event information to both accurately adjust existing catering schedules and forecast upcoming schedules.
- Actively interacts and serves as a liaison with all customers utilizing Carillon Catering. Deals with customer concerns in a friendly and professional manner.
- Ensures proper handling of food items to maintain sanitation standards. Works closely with chefs. Partners with chefs on product development, striving for unique and on-trend items.
- Enforces university and departmental policies and procedures. This includes state laws as they pertain to alcohol purchasing and service.
- Maintains professional work relationships by communicating effectively with clients and provides optimal service, which includes seeking clients' opinions.
- Regularly inventories supplies (d�cor, alcohol, linen, paper, equipment, etc.) for monthly reports.
- Provides managerial presence and oversees activities.
- Devises decorative schemes for food and beverage presentations.
- Actively encourages creativity among staff and strives to provide a varied style of presentation that is both tasteful and appropriate for the occasion.
- Interviews, hires, trains, orients and schedules student managers and catering student employees. Assists in monitoring and controlling labor costs. Evaluates work performance of student staff on a continual and regular basis. Administers discipline as needed to maintain proper service techniques, sanitation control, efficiency, good work performance and good customer relations.
- Maintains certification in ServSafe and TIPs, for safe service of food and alcohol.
- Fosters a positive, enthusiastic attitude for service staff that is customer-focused. Actively seeks clients' opinions about food and service. Acts promptly and in a helpful manner when dealing with customer questions and concerns, including responding to both written and verbal comments in a courteous and professional manner.
- Works closely with the Operations Manager and others to ensure proper and effective room set-up.
- Pursues personal self-development in order to reach a higher level of professional competence, including active membership with the National Association of Catering Executives.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- An Associate's Degree with 3 to 5 years of food and beverage industry experience OR 7 years of progressive supervisory experience in food and beverage.
- Proven organizational and time management skills, with demonstrated ability to coordinate simultaneous activities.
- Demonstrated strong customer service skills.
- Familiarity with computer programs such as Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Effective oral and written communication skills.
- Bachelor's degree in a related field.
- Significant experience in hospitality services, with a mixture of both event planning and management.