Detailed Job Description
Under the direction of the Chairman of the Department of Theatrical arts, the successful candidate will design and/or teach courses in Musical Theatre History, Acting for Musical Theatre, Sight Singing and Musical Theory for the Actor, Private Voice for the Musical Theatre Actor, and other courses as needed. He or she will also provide musical direction for Departmental musical theatre productions.
Graduation from an accredited college or university with a terminal degree in Theatre, Music, Musical Theatre, or closely related field. Or, graduation from an accredited college or university with a master's degree in Music, Musical Theatre, Theatre or closely related field and at least five years of professional experience in directing, teaching and conducting music for musical theatre, private voice instruction with specific expertise in vocal styles for musical theatre, and performing for musical theatre.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
-Knowledge of the theory and techniques required to produce and perform works of musical theatre.
-Knowledge of principles and methods for curriculum and instructional design, teaching and instruction for individuals and groups, and the assessment of training results.
-Superb sight-reading and piano/accompaniment skills.
-Ability to, and experience in, directing, teaching and conducting music for musical theatre.
-Ability to, and experience in, the giving of private voice instruction with specific expertise in vocal styles for musical theatre, and performing for musical theatre.
-Ability in and experience with student participation, supervision, and coordination of musical theatre events and performance.
-Ability in and experience with planning and coordination tours, public performances, and student travel.
-Ability in and experience with planning and working within a budget. Ability in and experience with advising students academically.
Special Instructions to Applicants
- To be considered an applicant for employment you must apply online through the UVU.Jobs website.
- To receive full consideration for post-secondary education, please submit copies of transcripts or diploma of highest degree earned. Transcripts do not have to be official copies.
- To be considered in the first screening, the online application and required application documents (see below) must be submitted by the screening or closing date.
- Our system can only accept supplemental documents (such as cover letters or transcripts) in PDF or Word format. The file size of documents must be less than 2MB. It is strongly recommended that you take documents that are not in an electronic form and scan them into a separate black and white PDF file so you can attach them electronically to the online application. You can get help with this at a local copy center if needed.
- Any offer of employment will be contingent upon the results of a background check, which includes a criminal records check. A criminal conviction is not necessarily a bar to employment.
- Application materials become the property of UVU.
- For questions contact Human Resources at HREmployment@uvu.edu.