Detailed Job Description
Manages all aspects of the Office of Veterans Services at the Miami University Regionals with a primary focus on serving the needs of regional campus veterans, active military, and dependents. Serves as an advocate and resource person for these students. Promotes military-friendly climates and cultures at each location. Collaborates closely with University certifying officials, faculty, staff and administration.
1. Manages the daily operations of the Veterans Centers on the Hamilton and Middletown campuses including the supervision of staff and student employees.
2. Plans, implements and assesses programs, services and initiatives designed to enhance the recruitment and retention of student veterans.
3. Identifies external community-based organizations serving veterans and establishes a network to recruit veterans to the campuses.
4. Assists student veterans in preparation of appropriate documentation necessary for certification of student veterans' education entitlements through the US Department of Veterans Affairs (VA).
5. Prepares and submits relevant reports on student veterans and services to appropriate federal, state, external agencies and University offices regarding overall services, military-friendly status, recruitment and retention efforts and annual summaries.
6. Serves as liaison with academic chairpersons, directors, coordinators, advisors and administrative personnel in assisting student veterans.
7. Assesses the unique needs of student veterans and collaborates with campus personnel to implement teaching, learning and support strategies to increase student veterans success.
8. Tracks and monitors academic progress and development of student veterans.
9. Serves as a consultant or advisor to the Student Veterans Associations and assists in the planning and implementation of Memorial Day, Veterans Day and other appropriate commemorations.
10. Serves as chairperson of the Veterans Outreach Collaborative to Impact Success.
11. Oversees department budget and assists in identifying and developing funding sources.
12. Participates in Admission recruitment programs, new student orientation programs, opening week activities and other such initiatives in efforts to recruit and retain student veterans.
13. Directs the daily activities of the office and leads in the development and implementation of strategic plans, policies, proposals, programs, and operating procedures.
14. Serves on planning and advisory committees including but not limited to campus governance groups and committees focusing on student veterans.
15. Initiates programs, training sessions, and discussions to foster awareness of, and commitment to student veterans among students, faculty and staff.
16. Works closely with colleagues on all Miami campuses on matters pertaining to student veterans.
17. Performs other job-related duties as assigned.
Bachelor's degree; veteran or active military status; experience working with military personnel or veterans; familiarity of the GI Bill and benefit programs for the military; strong written and communication skills.
Experience with federal or state compliance policies and procedures; experience in admission and financial aid offices; professional experience in higher education.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Applicants will be asked to submit cover letter, resume and list of three references when applying to this position.