Detailed Job Description
The Senior Associate Dean for Clinical and External Affairs reports to the Dean of the School of Medicine and is responsible for providing overall leadership and oversight of the clinical and external affairs programs that support students and enhance their clinical educational experiences. In this capacity, the Senior Associate Dean for Clinical and External Affairs, working with the Senior Associate Dean for Academic Affairs and the Senior Associate Dean for Finance and Administration, shall obtain and allocate resources (funds, space and faculty) to these programs so as to ensure their quality, maintain appropriate accreditation, and be responsive to the needs of the students, the faculty, the affiliated hospitals, and other clinical sites.
1. Participate in the development and implementation of the undergraduate clinical component of the School of Medicine curriculum.
2. Oversee the delivery of the curriculum at all clinical sites to ensure that it meets the mission of the School of Medicine and that it occurs in a learning environment that emphasizes professionalism at all levels.
3. Identify and recruit faculty physicians to serve in leadership, teaching, and mentorship roles to the students.
4. Meet regularly with administration and clinical leaders at the affiliated hospitals to ensure that needs of the clinical sites are managed and addressed in a timely manner.
5. Working in conjunction with the Associate Dean for Assessment and Faculty Development, oversee and assess the quality and effectiveness of individual faculty teaching.
6. Participate in strategic planning activities for the School of Medicine.
7. Continually assess the relevance of the clinical educational program in light of the needs of the students as well as the needs of the regional and national health care system.
8. Work with civic leaders and health care providers to maintain a presence in the community.
9. Develop and coordinate workshops, seminars, and other programs that will benefit the clinical community, patient care providers, and patients.
10. Consult with Senior Associate Dean for Academic Affairs to ensure that the delivery of the clinical curriculum is consistent throughout all sites and delivered in a coordinated manner.
11. Foster the dissemination of information between administration, faculty, and students at all clinical sites.
12. Work collaboratively with the Deans and faculty of the Quinnipiac University School of Nursing and the programs in the School of Health Sciences to develop and enhance interprofessional education and training in the clinical settings.
13. Work collaboratively with the office of Public Relations and Alumni Affairs to foster community outreach and identity building.
14. Ensure that the school is in compliance with all LCME standards that relate to the clinical component of the medical students' learning environment.
15. Prepare an annual budget to support the Clinical and External Affairs program.
16. Other duties and responsibilities as assigned by the Dean.
Required Minimum Qualifications
- Required MD Degree.
- Knowledge and experience with the delivery of clinical care in hospitals and physicians' practice office settings.
- Strong organizational and managerial skills.
- Excellent written, oral, interpersonal, and presentation skills. Ability to collaborate.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively, and work well with members of the clinical and academic community.
- Strong service orientation and commitment to teamwork.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Special instructions for applicants>
Review of applications will begin immediately. Applications should be submitted electronically at https://careers.quinnipiac.edu and should include a resume, contact information for three references and a cover letter that thoughtfully addresses the following points:
1. Explain why you are interested in this position.
2. Describe how your previous experience is relevant to this role, and
3. Explain what you perceive the challenges and opportunities are with this position in a new medical school.