Detailed Job Description
Position is responsible for leading the department's commitment to continuous improvement through lean initiatives. Lean is a process that Miami uses to improve quality, responsiveness, productivity, and reduce costs by analyzing the work and finding ways to improve it. The position works closely with the department's senior leadership promoting cultural change by providing training, support to project teams, strategy development, and interaction with various customers and stakeholders to monitor quality of services. Perform other duties as assigned.
1. Leadership-Management-Relationship with Superiors - provides direction, focus, guidance, support, prioritization and oversight for various continuous improvement initiatives for staff department-wide; develops and implements programs, policies, processes and procedures that result in high levels of organizational performance and effectiveness; keep superior informed; be responsive to directives from superiors; support the unit, departmental, and institutional goals
2. Daily Expectations - works closely with departmental directors, section managers, and front line supervision to engage all staff in a continuous improvement culture; develops relationships with staff at all levels and establishes programs emphasizing an expectation to find more efficient, effective, and value-added ways to perform all types of work
3. Training - responsible for developing and providing high-impact training opportunities. Types of training range from high-level discussion on strategies to improve quality, responsiveness, productivity, and cost reduction, to discrete methods on using lean tools. Establishes appropriate levels of training to meet the departmental commitment to ensure every staff member is exposed to continuous improvement initiatives and the use of lean methodologies; assists Staff Development in performing formal lean training classes; participates and leads lean training efforts in venues outside of the department and the university in support of university initiatives
4. Project Support - attends lean project meetings; provides assistance to project leaders where needed to ensure completion of successful projects; recommends and assists project leaders in obtaining necessary resources to aide in project completion; contributes to lean steering committee meetings and makes recommendations on projects worth pursuing
5. Quality Control - establishes regular reviews with key customers to understand quality requirements across all services offered by the Physical Facilities Department; develops and implements programs, policies and work practices that ensures high degree of quality in work performed by staff and contractors. Reinforces the expectation to maintain or improve the quality of services offered as lean initiatives are advanced to find more cost effective ways to perform the work
6. Record Keeping Function - responsible for tracking lean initiatives and ensuring accuracy of lean PFD reporting; maintains records and shares data with departmental leadership on employee lean certification status.
7. Implement Technology - encourages the application of technology within the operation to eliminate waste and improve efficiency; encourages use of the lean database and process software within the department to achieve lean objectives
1. Education/Experience - bachelor's degree in a related field plus a minimum of 5 years full-time experience; or related associate's degree plus a minimum of 8 years full-time experience; or a minimum of 10 years full-time verifiable experience in continuous improvement within a large, diverse workforce is required
2. Specific Knowledge - must be able to understand basic service requirements over a wide range of services offered; must have an understanding of continuous improvement concepts; must be capable of presenting to large audiences
3. Attention to Detail - ability to maintain detailed and complete records
4. Communication Skills - ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing, to a wide range of persons
5. Managerial Complexity - must be able to successfully handle multiple tasks at once, and be able to determine appropriate priorities; must be able to make independent interpretations and make appropriate decisions that are in the best interest of the organization and that are consistent with the objectives of upper-management
6. Computer Skills - must be proficient in the use of business application software, to include word processor, spreadsheet, and database programs
Direct experience in lean six-sigma and Miami University lean certification.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Employment will require a criminal background check according to University guidelines.