Detailed Job Description
To administer the combined Division I programs of Men's and Women's Cross Country/Track and Field consistent with the policies of Miami University, the National Collegiate Athletic Association, and other appropriate governing bodies (i.e. Mid-American Conference). This position specifically supports the mission of the University and the Department of Intercollegiate Athletics by assisting in institutional compliance with NCAA and Conference rules and regulations. This position will report to the Director of Athletics or designee.
- Responsible for training and developing student-athletes towards the goal of winning conference championships and NCAA championship participation.
- Responsible for working closely with ICA's academic support staff to ensure academic success for all student-athletes.
- Assembles, develops and evaluates quality assistant coaches to maximize student development.
- Manages the office of the cross-country and track and field staff to ensure delegation of responsibilities is effective and efficient.
- Researches, evaluates, identifies and recruits prospective high school students who can thrive in the Miami University environment while excelling as scholars and athletes.
- Responsible for working with the sport administrator and athletic department chief financial officer to manage the track and field and cross country budgets.
- Coordinates all team travel for approximately 80 students and staff for all away contests including transportation, lodging, and meals.
- Plans and supervises August preseason camp providing practice times, meals, lodging, meeting space, equipment and logistics for approximately 30 cross country students and staff.
- Responsible for strictly adhering to NCAA, MAC and Miami University policies and procedures.
- Establishes meeting and practice times with Game Operations staff that minimize academic conflicts yet maximize practice opportunities within NCAA rules and regulations.
- Works with Game Operations staff to coordinate all cross country and track and field related events.
- Works closely with the staffs of strength and conditioning, equipment, sports medicine and academic support to ensure high quality student experiences.
- Coordinates alumni relations with the athletic development staff including Alumni Weekend, Homecoming, and regular correspondence.
- Coordinates daily administration of the cross country and track and field program.
- Coordinates with compliance staff on-campus recruitment of prospective students for official and unofficial visits.
- Responsible for working directly with the Camp Director to coordinate summer cross country and track and field camps including recruiting campers and teams to participate.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Athletic Director
- Bachelor's degree
- Knowledge and understanding of NCAA rules and regulations
- 5 or more years of demonstrated successful head coaching experience at the NCAA Division I level in Track and/or Cross Country
- Proven commitment to the academic success of student-athletes
- Demonstrated ability to recruit students who have the ability to graduate from a top-ranked university
- Demonstrated ability to train and coach students to compete for championships
Special Instructions to Applicants
Employment will require a criminal background check according to University guidelines.