Detailed Job Description
This professional staff member reports to the Associate Bursar for Collections and is responsible for collection of past due accounts from former students in accordance with Miami University's accepted procedures and policies, and management of inquiries from students and families (written and verbal) concerning the validity of debt.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Establish a relationship with debtors in order to collect payment in full or, when necessary, negotiate monthly payment agreements.
2. Document debtors' files concerning actions taken and expectation for payment, and follow up when necessary.
3. Provide proper paperwork for legal action; testify when necessary for court action.
4. Responsible for updates to accounts referred for collection:
a. Answer telephone and written requests for transcripts;
b. Process payments for debtors by telephone;
c. Monitor the process of 'holding' accounts when applicable;
d. Notify other departments to withhold services on past due accounts.
5. Coordinate all third party collection agency placements:
a. Review accounts for referral to third party collection agency;
b. Obtain collection documents for scanning;
c. Answer all inquiries from agencies concerning those accounts that have been assigned;
d. Notify third party agencies of direct payments.
6. Work closely with Office of Student Financial Assistance to ensure application of aid to students' accounts and be proactive in developing policies to work cooperatively in addressing student and family financial challenges with a goal of finding satisfactory resolutions.
7. Perform other related duties as assigned.
Two years of experience in a bursar or relevant field; strong negotiating and problem solving skills; detail minded, organized, and proficient in MS Word and Excel; excellent written and verbal communication skills; ability to handle numerous tasks, assign priorities, and handle confidential information; ability to establish working relationships with co-workers, supervisors, university personnel, students, parents and outside collection agencies.
Associate or Bachelor's degree; experience with Banner student and/or financial systems; experience in a customer service environment, and Title IV Federal Financial Aid requirements; previous experience in collections.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Applicants will be asked to submit a letter of application, resume, and list of three references when applying to this position. Inquiries to: EMSS@miamioh.edu.