Detailed Job Description
Under the direction of the Biology Department, the Lead Lab Technician Biotechnology will: establish a DNA sequencing facility at UVU; participate in creation and implementation of Summer Science Institute workshops for Utah high school science teachers; assist high school teacher in bringing DNA sequencing technology to their classrooms; and assist in supervising the lab.
Essential Functions, Major Duties, and/or Accountabilities:
-Set up, run, and maintain a DNA sequencing laboratory and serve as safety technician for laboratory.
-Recruit high school teachers to participate in a "Summer Science Institute".
-Organize, prepare and assist in implementation of the "Summer Science Institute" for high school teachers.
-Manage and support high school science teachers as needed during the school year.
-Process DNA sequencing samples and report sequence results to teachers.
-Ensure safety of personnel and the laboratory.
Graduation from an accredited institution with a bachelor's degree in Biotechnology or a related field plus 1 year experience in laboratory and /or educational setting industry.
-Master's degree and 2 years of experience preferred.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
-Knowledge and familiarity with DNA analysis software and the ability to learn.
-Knowledge and competence in Molecular Biology laboratory skills and procedures.
-Knowledge and experience working in a laboratory.
-Current Biotechnology Laboratory skills.
-Ability to work with students, faculty, and high school teachers.
-Ability to collaborate with others in the Biology Department and at the Salt Lake Community College Department of Biotechnology.
-Strong interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community.
Special Instructions to Applicants
- To be considered an applicant for employment you must apply online through the UVU.Jobs website.
- To receive full consideration for post-secondary education, please submit copies of transcripts or diploma of highest degree earned. Transcripts do not have to be official copies.
- To be considered in the first screening, the online application and required application documents (see below) must be submitted by the screening or closing date.
- Our system can only accept supplemental documents (such as cover letters or transcripts) in PDF or Word format. The file size of documents must be less than 2MB. It is strongly recommended that you take documents that are not in an electronic form and scan them into a separate black and white PDF file so you can attach them electronically to the online application. You can get help with this at a local copy center if needed.
- Any offer of employment will be contingent upon the results of a background check, which includes a criminal records check. A criminal conviction is not necessarily a bar to employment.
- Application materials become the property of UVU.
- For questions contact Human Resources at HREmployment@uvu.edu.