Detailed Job Description
Daily operations and maintenance of Ecology Research Center (ERC); provide support for research, academic and public programs; supervision of student workers.
Assist the ERC Director with the daily operations of the ERC (approximately 2 miles from Miami campus in Oxford); provide support for research and academic programs by conducting the following activities:
-Coordinate, support, and direct activities at the ERC, including day-to-day oversight of all activities and programs. Assure adherence to and compliance with University, state, and federal laws, policies, and guidelines.
- Hire and supervise student workers to help maintain the ERC grounds.
- Work with faculty and students to design, modify, and construct project-specific research structures and specialized apparatus.
- Maintain records of land use practices, visits by courses and community groups, and ensure compatibility of various research and other academic projects.
- Ensure execution of yearly agricultural procedures (till, plant, chemical applications, harvest) in support of research and land stewardship/ income generation.
- Perform or oversee maintenance and repair of equipment including that used for research activities and land stewardship/income generation such as heavy agricultural and grounds-keeping machinery, trailers, boats, motors, and tools.
- Tend to grounds and develop the landscape consistent with current activities and future plans.
- Act as the primary liaison between the University Physical Facilities Department and the ERC, including working with architects and state inspectors to ensure that university standards and state codes are met.
-Provide recommendations to the ERC Director regarding the design, placement, and construction of structures/facilities.
- Coordinate and conduct outreach programs and tours for local schools, non-profit organizations, and community groups.
- Assist the ERC Director with other duties and projects as assigned.
Associate's degree (biology, agriculture, natural resources, environmental sciences, or related fields); experience (at least 6 months) with agricultural practices and procedures, operation and maintenance of heavy farm implements and small engines used in research and land maintenance activities; basic renovation/ repair skills; strong interpersonal skills enabling effective interactions with faculty researchers, graduate and undergraduate students, contractors, physical facilities personnel, and the general public; interest in field activities related to environmental sciences, land maintenance, terrestrial and/ or aquatic sciences, hydrology, and inter-disciplinary research methods; writing, communication, and supervisory skills; independent self-motivated worker; valid driver's license.
Bachelor's degree and two years of field experience with agricultural practices and procedures or a master's degree (biology, agriculture, natural resources, environmental sciences, or related fields); experience supporting field research and/or teaching or public outreach; knowledge of Miami University Physical Facilities, local vendors, and agricultural services; commercial driver license (Class A or B); experience in working with the public; Ohio Commercial Agricultural Fertilizer Applicator Certification; Ohio Commercial Pesticide Applicator Certification.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Applicants will be asked to submit a letter of application (including statement of experience, scholarly and applied interests, and evidence of commitment to meaningful service in support of the Ecology Research Center), curriculum vitae or r�sum�, and three letters of recommendation when applying to this position. If applicant does not have access to letters of reference, they can be sent directly to firstname.lastname@example.org. Submit materials electronically to the Miami Jobs website. Questions about the position can be directed to search committee chair, Alan Cady (email@example.com). Questions about the application process can be directed to Chris Makaroff (firstname.lastname@example.org, 513-529-1234).