Detailed Job Description
Provide service to Miami University community for hardware and software supported by IT Services. Function as a senior support resource and assist other support staff on servicing designated systems, providing ongoing guidance to the support team, and assist in the creation and success of a warranty and non-warranty hardware support center. Organize and maintain work tickets and provide excellent customer service. Troubleshoot and solve complex technical issues related to the designated environment.
1. Provide Tier II support for faculty, staff, and students by solving escalated Incidents through direct knowledge and through consulting with Subject Matter Experts.
2. Work cooperatively with local support providers and other partner units in planning effective support.
3. Act as a liaison between areas within IT Services to coordinate technology projects requiring communication, sharing of information, and cooperation across many areas of expertise.
4. Provide and/or share technical knowledge with Tier I staff as well as other IT Services support staff in the resolution of problems/requests related to the designated system.
5. Maintain proper training level to provide warranty support for supported hardware.
6. Utilize appropriate Help Desk tools and applications.
7. Develop and document resolutions or workarounds for Incidents that lack a documented resolution or workaround in the Known Error Database and submit them for approval and publishing; able to manage the entire life-cycle of an Incident or Outage; work to obtain expertise and SME status in one or more Business Services.
8. Assist with and gather information required by root cause analysis techniques.
9. Apply principles and processes of service levels to work; identify/highlight service problems; seek to improve quality of service levels.
10. Build positive working relationships with other Support Desk and IT staff; develop a working knowledge of the roles other staff play and share information openly about own role; work collaboratively.
11. Learn quickly and independently; seek opportunities to extend and deepen learning.
12. Write clearly and succinctly in a variety of communication settings and styles; get messages across that instigate appropriate actions.
13. Accurately restate the opinions and needs of others; demonstrate patience and active listening.
14. Identify symptoms and break problems into distinct and manageable parts; analyze and interpret root causes associated with a given problem; look at problems from other perspectives; seek other resources/expertise to define solutions; assist in solving intra-team problems.
15. Support end users in Release transition; identify and correct weaknesses within Release documentation; encourage and coach others to prepare for Release.
16. Analyze and summarize the impact of new processes and technologies in the organization; develop communication materials that build awareness and understanding of future changes in processes and technologies.
17. Show initiative to make basic decisions in daily work where risk is low, saving manager time; gather inputs and come to practical/sensible solutions; identify and escalates more significant decision points appropriately
18. Participate in cross-functional projects; participate in diverse teams and work, recognizing the value of a variety of talents and knowledge.
19. Participate in professional development activities.
20. Recognize and escalate situations where inclusivity is not being properly shown
21. Perform other related duties as required or assigned.
* Associate's degree in a related field by date of hire.
* Intermediate (2+ years) experience in troubleshooting and repairing hardware problems in a complex networked environment
* Basic experience (1+ years) working on Microsoft Windows related products in a computer support environment.
* Basic experience (1+ years) working on Mac/Apple related products in a computer support environment.
* Any equivalent combination of education and/or experience providing the knowledge/skills/abilities listed above may be substituted. Experience in these knowledge/skills/abilities may be earned concurrently.
* Intermediate knowledge (2+ years) of troubleshooting and repairing hardware problems in a complex networked environment
* Bachelor's degree in related field or equivalent experience
* Basic knowledge (1+ years) of networking and databases
* Basic knowledge (1+ years) of application software
* Dell Business Class Hardware Certification
* Apple Hardware and Software Certification Assessed through Interview
* Ability to analyze causes of client problems
* Ability to generate solutions to problem causes
* Customer service skills; including diplomatically, patiently, and successfully handling complaints, problems, questions, conflict, and suggestions
* Ability and willingness to work independently in a team environment
* Ability to take initiative in providing support to the client
* Ability to create and improve documentation, instructions, and detailed case descriptions
* Ability to prioritize projects and work on multiple projects simultaneously