Detailed Job Description
This position plans, organizes, and directs all activities of a large scale full menu food service operation including scratch preparation kitchen, and multiple customer service stations for eat-in and take-out foods. This position is responsible for managing the location effectively in order to support the mission of Miami University through the goals and objectives of the Department of Housing, Dining, Recreation and Business Services.
- Plans and supervises the day-to-day activities of food preparation and service functions, in such a manner that it ensures an effective, efficient and economical operation.
- Enforces university and departmental policies, procedures, work rules, performance standards, and codes of conduct.
- Maintains effective control over labor, food, supplies, utilities, and other costs.
- Coordinates the custodial and maintenance care of the facility, works with appropriate university support staff to accomplish objectives. Addresses building, facilities, and equipment maintenance or repair needs appropriately.
- Order food and supplies. Oversees the proper care and handling of food, equipment, facilities, and supplies to provide a safe and sanitary food service operation. Maintains appropriate inventory of food and supplies.
- Merchandises products and services available to student customers.
- Works closely with students, advisors, and guests to develop rapport and understanding. Actively seeks student opinion about food and service. Acts promptly and in a helpful manner when dealing with customer questions and concerns, including responding to written comments and suggestions.
- Demonstrates effective leadership. Sets a positive, enthusiastic tone for dining service staff that is customer oriented. Communicates effectively with unit staff, fellow-members of the food service management team, others within the university community, and the general public.
- Gives direction and assistance to all staff in the preparation of food and provision of service according to the high standards of the department. Provides necessary training and follow up for all staff to improve work performance.
- Delegates responsibility in order to motivate and develop subordinates.
- Evaluates work performance of dining service staff on a continual basis. Recommends discipline as needed. Develops staff in order to increase the effectiveness of each member.
- Prepares and maintains records, reports, and evaluations reflecting the conditions under which functions are carried out and the efficiency and economy of operations.
- Strives to make the dining service a better place for staff to work. This should include improving the work environment. Pursues personal self-development to reach a higher level of professional competence.
- Performs other duties as required.
- Associate's degree in a related field (Hospitality Management, Culinary Arts, Dietetics, Management, etc.), 3 - 5 years of progressive experience in a restaurant or other food service operations or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Competent organizational and time management skills
- Familiarity with computer programs such as Microsoft Word and Excel
- Supervisory experience with effective oral and written communications with among all levels of staff is required. Diplomatic communication is required and is an essential function of the job.
- Ability to organize and schedule work, to be flexible and adjust priorities, to keep records and files accurately, and to perform all aspects of the job efficiently and effectively, with attention to detail, to meet the needs of the Department of Housing, Dining, Recreation and Business Services is required.
- Ability to establish harmonious working relationships with peers, supervisors, other University personnel, students and the public; and to perform the above-described position independent of constant supervision is required. Ability to be self-directed is also required.
- Established records of excellent job performance, including attendance, that fully meet all applicable University and Departmental standards are mandatory.
- Bachelor's degree in a related field
- Servsafe Certification
- Certificate in a related field from a nationally recognized program (Foodservice Management Professional or the like)
Special Instructions to Applicants
Employment will require a criminal background check according to University guidelines.