Unfortunately, this job is expired as of 4/7/2012.
To continue in your search through the appropriate job categories, click either Administrative Staff, Higher Education Executives, Faculty, Post-Doc and Graduate Assistants, . You can also utilize "guess-free" keyword search tools with up to eight pre-defined criteria. Search for and Apply to academic postings directly from the site. Post your background either confidentially or overtly. Stand out and be discovered!
The Department of Natural & Physical Sciences at the College of Western Idaho is accepting applications for a full-time faculty member to teach Biology beginning Fall 2012.
The College of Western Idaho is a public, open-access, and comprehensive community college committed to providing affordable access to quality teaching and learning opportunities to the residents of its service area in western Idaho.
Faculty members teach assigned classes in accordance with established policies and guidelines; participate in advising, committee assignments, and other academic and institutional support activities; and perform supervisory responsibilities as assigned. To reach a broad range of students, CWI encourages exploring alternative teaching styles and methods. Courses will be taught in traditional classroom settings, in computer-mediated classrooms, and over the internet. This position includes classes taught in the evenings and when necessary, at the College’s off campus centers.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Teaches a minimum semester credit load of courses in accordance with the descriptions published in the CWI catalog
• Devises and utilizes outcomes assessment measures
• Participates in faculty development goals to improve professional effectiveness
• Participates in instructional evaluation processes
• Meets all scheduled classes promptly with any deviation being filed promptly and accurately through the appropriate channels
• Participates in student advising
• Monitors student placement in courses and student progress; maintains accurate records
• Demonstrates sensitivity to, and understanding of, the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, ethnic, and disability backgrounds of community college students
• Promotes and helps with learning assistance services
• Cooperates with other areas of the College to provide an effective educational program
• Participates in program and curriculum review and development
• Attends and participates in all departmental, division, and faculty meetings
• Participates in all graduation exercises
• Participates in adjunct faculty observations
• Conveys by word and action the values expected by CWI
• During the first class day of the course, the faculty will cover the course syllabus including course objectives, attendance policies, grading practices and student learning expectations
• Utilizes a variety of instructional strategies to assist students in meeting the objectives of the course
• Follows all standardized lab procedures, safety protocols, and departmental procedures and ensures that students do the same
• Is available for student consultation during regular-posted office hours (at least 5 hours a week)
• Strives to remain current in his/her professional discipline through continued education and professional development activities
• Performs other duties as assigned. Examples include but are not limited to:
1. Revise/review lab manuals as needed
2. Coordinate new manual development as needed
3. Review/implement best practices to improve instruction
4. Program Head duties that are a priority but that the Program Head cannot reasonably complete in a given term.
• Master’s degree from accredited institution in Biology or a closely related field.
• Experience teaching at post-secondary level in field of study.
• Willingness to work cooperatively, communicate clearly, and be a team player.
• Ability to adapt to variety of teaching methodologies including lectures, group activities, individual instruction, distance learning, and teaching with technology.
• Commitment to professional growth and development.
• Ability to advise students.
• Proficiency in usage of internet, email, word processing, spreadsheet, and presentation software applications.
In addition to the above qualifications, a superior candidate will have:
• Three years of experience teaching field of study at post-secondary level.
• Experience teaching biology to non-majors, general biology, anatomy and physiology, and/or cell biology, ecology, microbiology and/or associated laboratory sections.
• Demonstrated commitment to teaching at a community college or with adult learners.
• Demonstrated service to an institution of higher learning.
• Experience using instructional technology to deliver courses online.
You were inactive for over twenty minutes. To protect you, we have logged you out. Any unsaved data has been lost.