Detailed Job Description
The position exists to provide technical and administrative support to the Department’s chair, faculty, staff, all student hourly workers, and all programs within the Department and for managing the day-to-day internal office operations for the Department of Aviation and Aerospace Science.
Duties/Responsibilities Front Office Support 25%
- Ensures front office efficiency through coordinating office coverage by student workers and serving as a backup when other support personnel are unavailable.
- Orders office supplies and equipment, and completes other administrative activities to facilitate the smooth functioning of the outer office area.
- Schedules and coordinates appointments utilizing Outlook Calendar for departmental faculty.
- Delegates administrative tasks to student workers.
- Trains and provides guidance to administrative and student staff on general operating procedures such as scheduling appointments, managing incoming phone calls, handling of new and existing student inquiries, filing of student academic paperwork, or other administrative tasks.
- Answers phones, helps with walk-in guests, and responds to emails.
Admissions/Department Advising Support 30%
- Provides support to Department for the coordination of admissions materials by completing tasks such as, but not limited to: data entry, organizing files, printing CAPP reports, compiling/completing admissions packets for students, coordinating and allocating student advising materials. Support student advising process by answering related program questions.
- Responds to initial contact voicemail and email by providing introductory program information and making appropriate referral when deemed necessary.
- Responsible for weekly office coverage as needed to provide for the reception and advising of initial student contact and all walk-in guests or other appointments made by stakeholders visiting the department.
General Administrative Support 45%
- Serves as primarily front office support personnel in the logistical coordination of special events and general meetings including completion of official university forms, coordinating room reservation and set-up, catering, attendance and RSVP tracking, communicating invitations to specified groups, agenda production and taking minutes, etc.
- Supports budget personnel by completing and organizing accounting paperwork such as: check requests, purchase orders, special purchase orders and other accounting paperwork. Reports spending to supervisor and maintains accurate records of all purchases. Serves as primary support personnel to order approved equipment, materials or other types of supplies.
- Assesses incoming part-time and full-time online faculty position applications for completeness and minimum qualifications.
- Informs applicants of basic university teaching requirements and specific departmental position requirements.
- Ensures confidentiality of all department personnel files adhering to all EEOC rules.
- Anticipates cyclical University and Departmental deadlines and communicates these requirements to appropriate individuals.
- Supports the organization and facilitation of faculty and personnel–related processes by keeping departmental personnel files organized; initiating PeopleAdmin or other HR related actions; completing paperwork such as but not limited to Personnel Action Forms and Hiring Summaries; assisting new employees with logistical information such as staff IDs, keys, mailbox and email set up, etc.; and completing paperwork/reports to hire affiliate faculty. Other duties may be assigned to improve the facilitation of this process.
- Communicates departmental announcements on departmental listservs, social media conduits, and manages member lists (as available). Requires proficiency in all MS Office products and Adobe Professional Reader, Creative Suite 6, and Photoshop.
- Supports the archiving of student records process by scanning student records (utilizing BANNER ApExtender) and organizing the files in preparation for archival.
- Coordinates the ordering of desk copies and bookstore order each semester.
- Proofreads, edits, and makes recommendations for further clarity of written administrative and student advising documents.
- May be assigned other project-related administrative support tasks in support of departmental faculty and staff carrying out important departmental requirements.
- Bachelors’ degree or the equivalent combination of education and experience, plus two years of experience as an administrative or office assistant.
- Work history must include 2 years of customer service experience showing direct contact with the public and internal staff.
- Relevant experience with aviation industry topics enabling the successful candidate to advise students, stakeholders, and community about AVS programs offered (e.g. pilot certifications, academic credentials, specific work experience, FAA/FAR/AIM rules and regulations, etc.).
- Please note that two years of experience equals one year of higher education.
- Previous experience as an administrative assistant working with students and staff in higher education.
Experience managing a front office.
- Previous experience in a position that required strong interpersonal and excellent customer service skills.
- Previous experience in a position that required excellent organizational skills with the ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Demonstrated experience identifying problems, researching for solutions and communicating outcomes.
- Previous experience working with and preserving confidential documents/information.
- Direct and specific aviation experience (e.g. professional pilot career, air traffic control, airport/airline management/law, aerospace engineering) in assisting department in providing general degree programs oversight, and in general guidance of students through academic career.
- Previous experience working with Banner or equivalent higher education system, MS Project, MS Access, and statistical analysis software (e.g. SPSS, etc.).
- Earned Bachelor’s from an accredited college or university, or earned Bachelor’s degree from an accredited aviation and aerospace science college or university program.
Special Instructions to Applicants
IMPORTANT: In order to be considered as an applicant you must apply via the online application system, www.msudenverjobs.com.
Official transcripts, if applicable, will be required for the candidate selected for hire.