Detailed Job Description
This position is responsible for planning, organizing, and coordinating all services, facilities use, and arrangements for scheduled conferences, meetings, and seminars for conference and event services. This individual works closely with other members of the management team to provide the services required for conferences, events and meetings, including lodging, event space, audio-visual equipment, meals and refreshments, and activities. This position reports to the Associate Director of Conference Services.
The Conference and Event Planner coordinates all details for conferences, meetings, events and seminars. This position assists with plans for room set-up, equipment needs, lodging, meals, transportation, and other event details. This position works with and provides input and suggestions to corporate, academic and social planners to ensure that their meetings, conferences and events are well organized and highly professional. Responsibilities also include scheduling events in both campus chapels, including negotiating of contracts, assistance with billings and deposits, coordinating the maintenance and use of the chapels, and building relationships with customer base.
- Responsible for the booking of conferences, meeting, and social events for conference services, observing dates requested, services required, numbers of participants, schedules, equipment needs, etc. Works with appropriate staff members to book both facility space, dining space and lodging. Maintains records using Event Management System, Conference Programmer, CBord Food Service Suite and Micros Opera.
- Works with and provides input to corporate, academic and social event planners to provide the services required for conferences, meetings and events, including lodging, event space, audio-visual equipment, meals and refreshments, and activities. Assists groups by recommending speakers, facilitators, entertainment and event programming. Coordinates all event needs with the appropriate staff, and with internal and external vendors as required (other area hotels, residence halls, dining locations, golf courses, shipping companies, etc.).
- Acts as primary on-site contact person for meetings, conferences and events, or conveys necessary information to an alternate contact person. Reviews event details with clients at the start of the event, making appropriate adjustments as needed. Communicates all revisions and information to appropriate conference center management and staff.
- Assists with the preparation of function sheets, function change sheets, contracts and confirmations to ensure the communication of all event details and client needs. Communicates these needs in a clear, concise manner to appropriate management and staff members.
- Reviews conference and event billing and approves (signs off) for invoice. Follows up with customers to obtain feedback and pursue future bookings.
- Coordinates the efforts and involvement of other university departments (ie. Physical Facilities, Recreational Sports Center, MU Police, etc.) to provide services and support for activities and programs requested by clients of conference and event services customers.
- Responsible for the ordering and inventory of supplies and materials to meet the needs of clients in conducting conferences, seminars, and other programs. These supplies include, but are not limited to, flipcharts, easels, markers, decorative pieces, etc.
- Collaborates with other department managers to review all room set-up needs. Assists in the preparation of room diagrams as required. Ensures that all client needs have been met prior to the start of and throughout meetings and events.
- Assists with the set-up and operation of audio-visual equipment as required.
- Responsible for scheduling the Sesquicentennial and Kumler Chapels; reviews contracts for their use, and oversees billing and the deposit of receipts. Ensures customer access and maintenance of the chapels with Physical Facilities and others as required. Maintains appropriate documentation and records.
- Assists with marketing efforts for conference and event services, and Carillon Catering.
- Greets visitors, guests, and conference clients in a professional and cordial manner. Conducts site visits, luncheons, and taste tests with prospective clients.
- Sets a positive, enthusiastic tone that is customer-oriented. Actively seeks clients' opinions about accommodations, facilities, food and service. Acts promptly and in a helpful manner when dealing with customer questions and concerns, including responding to written comments as necessary.
- Communicates effectively with fellow members of the conference center management team, the university community, and the general public.
- Pursues personal self-development in order to reach a higher level of professional competence.
- Performs other duties as may be required or assigned.
- A minimum of 5 years of experience in the hospitality industry, or a like position.
- A proven ability to communicate effectively with a diverse group of individuals including university faculty, staff, and administrators, corporate executives and meeting planners, and the general public is required.
- Willingness and ability to work a varied schedule, including evenings, weekends and holidays.
- An Associate or Bachelor's Degree in business, mass communications, marketing, hotel/restaurant management, or related field, or equivalent work experience and training is desired.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Employment will require a criminal background check according to University guidelines.